ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best E-mail Client

A new start -- IMAP, FastMail, Windows Live Mail

<< < (2/3) > >>

tinjaw:
I am on my second year with Tuffmail and I love them. I don't remember it even being unavailable to me, so if it was it was insignificant. Here is a good page to see their service level (at RealMetrics).

I do not get any referral fees, however, if anybody joins up, please send support an email and tell them Chaim Krause sent you. I would like to show him I can send him business so I can ask for a discount for DonationCoder members.  :)

Make sure you check out all the connectivity options you have. Note the abundance of non-standard port numbers to make it easier to connect (securely !!) when standard ports are blocked by corporate, hotel, etc. firewalls. They also have Horde Imp 3, Horde Imp 4, and SquirrelMail.

Josh:
tinjaw, I think you've convinced me. The only thing I have to ask them about is pricing and special options for extended storage of mails plus what their backup policies are. Coming from you tinjaw, I will place extra emphasis on my decision since I respect your input :) Thanks!

tinjaw:
Thank you Josh for your kind words. If you do not like their pre-packaged offerings, you can roll your own. Also, note that they offer a 30 Day free trial plus a 30 day money back guarantee. So you can try them free for 30 days without paying. Then if you signup, you have another 30 days to use it and still be able to request your money back. That is very generous, but they can offer that because their service is great and they have no reason to believe you won't get the service you expect.

Here is an extensive and detailed listing of the features they offer.

johnk:
Okay, I finally gave in and tried Mulberry. Yes, it's fast. And yes, IMAP support is wonderful, and beats any other client I've tried.

But...HTML support is very close to non-existent (for emails containing images at any rate). Essentially, to view an HTML email, you have to right-click on the email, select "view current part", and the email will open in your default browser (or any other HTML viewer you have selected). In this day and age, that's just crazy. As I said above, I'm no big fan of unnecessary formatting, but many of us subscribe to lots of email newsletters these days. While some offer a plain text option, many do not. And very often, the HTML versions are a much nicer read anyway.

I did spend a brief few minutes looking through the Mulberry mailing list archive, and it seems HTML viewing was never a priority for the developers. Maybe now that it's open source, someone will do the sensible thing and use one of an existing HTML rendering engines to give Mulberry an inline HTML viewer quickly. Then the program would be an option for those of us who like a little HTML in our lives.

Josh:
HTML is a must for me. As soon as I get home, I plan to trial Windows Live Mail and see how it fairs. Thunderbird, as stated above, is really nice and easy to use with IMAP. I love the default view that doesnt display the FULL PATH to the folder in the folder tree (inbox.something.somethingelse.folder). Thunderbird, however, has a tendency to lose my current config and restore to defaults everything. Plus, the non-existant backup feature is another annoyance I have. I wish that someone would make an IMAP client that works well and has a robust feature set. Mulberry would be nice, however, as pointed out it doesnt have a very active development cycle. Outlook would be nice if microsoft cared more about IMAP. But seeing as IMAP isnt really a CORPORATE feature, I dont forsee outlook playing too far into that arena.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version