Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 02, 2014, 09:13:21 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A better wireless network finder?  (Read 6484 times)
JEdwardP
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 11, 2007, 02:43:45 PM »

Hello again folks,

Does anyone know of a piece of Windows software to locate wireless networks? I'm looking for a replacement for both the built-in Windows module, and the software provided by the hardware vendor, something similar to Winc: http://www.download.com/W...10383476.html?tag=lst-0-5, which is now deadware, unfortunately.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Did you know me when I was human, or had I already mutated into this?
Wordzilla
Forum Search Daemon
Charter Member

Two there should be; no more, no less.

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 02:54:33 PM »

Well, get Intel Proset if you have intel card. I have used it and also IBM Access Connections -- imo Windows built-in module worked best.  smiley

rht341
Participant

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 07:09:23 AM »

Hello,

Maybe NetStumbler is what you're looking for.  I don't have the link handy, but a search should come up with it.

Rich
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 07:20:35 AM »

yes, NetStumbler is quite the popular choice.. smiley
http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

Wordzilla
Forum Search Daemon
Charter Member

Two there should be; no more, no less.

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 07:30:46 AM »

Yes, but the primary function of Netstumbler is to locate and diagnose wifi networks.

a replacement for both the built-in Windows module, and the software provided by the hardware vendor

I think he was asking for a replacement for Windows built-in WZC module and similars provided by hardware vendor which come with your card (like Dlink, Belkin connection utility)

Jimdoria
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 11:13:35 AM »

I believe NetStumbler can also auto-configure your system based on the networks it sniffs. I haven't used it but I've used the PDA version (MiniStumbler) which had this ability.)

You can also buy a stand-alone Wi-Fi detector. The best one IMHO is the ZyXEL AG-225H. Locates wireless networks, shows you the signal strength & level/type of encryption, recharges from the USB port, acts as a USB wifi adapter and will even serve as a mobile wifi access point. Its the wifi Swiss army knife!

- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.
spoirier
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 11:50:44 AM »

You might want to check out WirelessMon at:

http://www.passmark.com/p...ducts/wirelessmonitor.htm
Nighted
Charter Honorary Member

Meat Popsicle

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 06:29:31 PM »

You could try WiFi Hopper too.

I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.034s | Server load: 0.02 ]