ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FolderScout: quick drive navigator

<< < (2/3) > >>

justice:
The way I use FARR's directory search feature is if for example I need an application/folder in program files but it's not in the start menu, or running a utility that doesn't come with an installer (my utility folder is too big to be included by default in farr searching): i'd do c:\scr\auto to get to c:\scripts\autoruns\ for example.

Although it seems if i type 'auto\' without quotes, it finds folders in program files even though program files is not enabled in the searchable folders hmm.  :o

However pressing F7 and typing auto is faster. And as the results are indexed, it doesn't have to search the actual folders, just the indexed file. it's slightly more convenient. I don't have to worry where the folder is (c:\, d:\, 12 subfolders deep). So it's mostly a matter of shorter syntax and slightly quicker performance.

I guess when FARR adds in indexing, or some syntax shortcut so I could type '\auto' to search folders with the phrase auto in them, then I might dump Folderscout :) Also I use a dialogue box extender which works well for favourite folders. I hope that explains things a bit?

lanux128:
yes, i use Farr's folder search for something like that too since most of my programs are the portable type with no installers nor start menu junk.. :) thanks again for the info, justice.. i might find some use out of FolderScout, just like with Locate32 earlier.. :Thmbsup:

justice:
I was thinking a plugin called FolderList for FARR would be desirable. It basically would return the folders for the query you put in. that would stop my need for FolderScout.

jgpaiva:
I was thinking a plugin called FolderList for FARR would be desirable. It basically would return the folders for the query you put in. that would stop my need for FolderScout.
-justice (July 11, 2007, 02:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
Actually, farr already does.
If you input the name of some folder, it'll give you the matches in the search path.
The problem is that as there isn't indexing, you can't have it search for folders in your whole disk, only on the search path.

(i believe there's a '+' action to improve the ranking of folders so that they appear first on the list, but can't remember which one is)[edit] nope, there isn't. but you can add one, at options->heuristic scoring-> right-click on "folder score as %..."-> edit this entry -> optional modifier keywords [/edit]

You can make farr search only folders by adding +\ to your query.

justice:
hey fantastic tip!
obviously it's not instant with a query like +\ c:\ <folder> but it works good enough for me to add some popular folders into farr.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version