ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is there an alternative for Babylon Rightclick Translation software?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Curt:
- of course you all answered the question in mind, but I really don't care, because masu was right when saying "I couldn't found any alternatives" - meaning there are no alternatives to find because Babylon is The Best. I believe  Ultralingua to be fine, but of course it can never be "far superior" to the best, can it - even if it should happen that it actually is better than The Best...

Sorry, for being in such a mood for war! I have just spend FOUR hours copying and moving, what should have been done in less than half an hour. I really need a better PC. And this frustation I had to take out on you. Please, forgive me!  :-

Its late at night around here, so Good Night - and may peace be with you...  :D

urlwolf:
Curt, why is Babylon so much better?
Just asking. There's a discount active now (still, $40!).
And I bought it, lost the license, and they wanted to charge me $7 for retrieving it. A big no-no.

Curt:
- yes, their policies are tuff. Also, I was disappointed not to see any real new development from version 6 to 7 even though the upgrade price was $52 (incl the $7 insurrance and VAT). Babylon is fine by itself, but it's biggest advantage is the possible use of add-on dictionaries - I have quite a number. Some of them were expensive, but most were free. Together they allow Babylon to answer almost any question faster than any other I have tried.

Despite of all this, I believe my next program in the field of stand-alone dictionaries will be the PRO version of WordWeb, though it can easily / will be much more expensive than Babylon.

So, now that it has been half a year since my purchase of Babylon 7 I am merely a modest fan.

kartal:
I use Farr :)

Create your alias that searches dictionary. Then create a special hotkey version of Farr(hotkeys tab in advanced config). Put t "name of your alias" %cliptext% into ext edit box. This will activate farr and put selected text into farr.

There are already preset dictionary aliases in Farr. In this case you can just put "lookup %cliptext%" in hotkeys window if you do not want to go through alias creating hassle.

I know this is online method but free and efficient.

Curt:
I was a happy 1-Click Answer (Alt+RightClick) user for several years before I switched to Babylon. It also comes as an add-on merely for Firefox. Free, and also for Linux.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version