ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OWNING "hacker tools" illegal in Germany as of TODAY (jail & fines for everyone)

(1/7) > >>

gjehle:
German government just passed a law today that makes OWNING any such "hacker tool" which aim is to "commit a crime" illegal.
I just can't take it anymore.

Read up here to get a feeling how "being German" is getting worse and worse by the minute:

[...]
If you own any hacker tool which "aim is to commit a crime"...

* nmap
    * metasploit
    * any penetration testing tool in general
    * port scanners
    * network analyzers? (hopefully not those too)

... you're signing up for one year in jail or a hefty fine.
That reads OWNING, not using, it's just OWNING.
[...]
--- End quote ---

Long version here:
http://nrrd.de/dasbuch/hadez/now_theyve_done_it_just_owning_hacker_tools_illegal_germany

Please speard the word and DIGG IT http://digg.com/politics/OWNING_Hacker_tools_now_illegal_in_Germany_jail_time_fine
It's no fun anymore. We're getting screwed big time.

jgpaiva:
Now that's stupid.
And who's to tell what's a "hacker tool" or not?
network analyzers? (hopefully not those too)
--- End quote ---
Right... I've used a few of those tools when learning about internet and networkds, does that make me a hacker? How about my school, which has a bunch of those lying around?

That makes absolutelly no sense... Good thing i don't live in germany ;)

Lashiec:
Does this crap mean you can't use Wireshark anymore? It really sucks. I'm sorry for all of you there, and I sincerely hope this gets resolved.

f0dder:
nmap's aim is to commit a crime? christ >_< - what about "netcat", then? Eeeeevil program, since it can be used for evil. And I guess networks sniffers are evil as well, regardless that they can be very useful when debugging [your own] network communications.

What about OllyDebug and DataRescue's IDA?

gjehle:
It means we're fucked.

The government propaganda tells us it wont harm the IT sector at all, since this law will only be used on "the bad guys" (fuzzy FUD definition as always).
So it's an opt-out law, my most loved system of suppression.
Make everything illegal and let the courts decide who's bad and who's not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version