topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New 7 Wonders of the World  (Read 8901 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New 7 Wonders of the World
« on: July 05, 2007, 09:49 PM »
less than a couple of hours left.. :)

The New7Wonders Foundation calls on all citizens of the world to support it.  Through film, television, the Internet and books, people shall be alerted to the destruction of nature and the decay of our man-made heritage. Monuments in jeopardy, perhaps in a dangerous state of decay, can be saved by publicizing their beauty and highlighting their plight to the international community.

ws-new7wonders.png

http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New 7 Wonders of the World
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:43 AM »
less than a couple of hours left.. :)

When I logged on it was 5 hours to go  :huh:

Actually, checking your post time and mine and looking at the site again, I think it's minus 2 (yours) and minus 5 (mine) hours to go; which presumably means that it's past time???
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 12:45 AM by Perry Mowbray »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:51 AM »
since the new wonders will be announced on the 7th, so i think midnight of 6th is the closing time.. have you tried voting? :)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 06:07 AM »
since the new wonders will be announced on the 7th, so i think midnight of 6th is the closing time.. have you tried voting? :)

That's what I thought; well, I didn't know about midnight, but something like that.

I did vote: couldn't go past our Opera house without a vote!  :-[

I'm not sure it's the real thing though: it looks more like an email harvesting venture to get people to sign up to holiday type newsletters.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 12:40 AM »
I'm not sure it's the real thing though: it looks more like an email harvesting venture to get people to sign up to holiday type newsletters.
-Perry Mowbray (July 06, 2007, 06:07 AM)

People around the world are being invited to vote in a survey for the New Seven Wonders of the World.
A privately funded organisation, the New 7 Wonders Foundation, has put forward a shortlist of 21 landmarks from across the globe.

An ancient list is being updated, through a modern worldwide poll. Michelle Jana Chan looks at the 21 contenders.
On July 7, there will be a new version of the Seven Wonders of the World, a list that has always captured the imagination of travellers. It will be drawn up on the basis of more than 50 million votes cast from people in almost 200 countries.

But what would we do without some controversy?
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in a press release[1] on June 20, 2007 reaffirmed that it has no link with the initiative, which it says would reflect "only the opinions of those with access to the internet".

A paragraph from the press release reads "There is no comparison between Mr Weber’s mediatised campaign and the scientific and educational work resulting from the inscription of sites on UNESCO’s World Heritage List. The list of the 7 New Wonders of the World will be the result of a private undertaking, reflecting only the opinions of those with access to the internet and not the entire world. This initiative cannot, in any significant and sustainable manner, contribute to the preservation of sites elected by this public."
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 12:44 AM by cthorpe »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 06:22 AM »
anyway, here are the results.. :)

ws-new7wonders.png
http://www.new7wonde...com/index.php?id=633

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 09:40 AM »
Really, i cannot understand why the Christ Redeemer from Brazil was elected. There's nothing great about it (especially compares to the other stuff).

Also, i love Easter Islands statues, it's a shame they're note selected :(

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 09:49 AM »
Really, i cannot understand why the Christ Redeemer from Brazil was elected. There's nothing great about it (especially compares to the other stuff).
I can. See his page, specially the "population" part.
It's just idiotic that monuments such as angkor were placed behind the Christ Redeemer. I'm not saying that it's not a good monument, it's just not at the same level as some that didn't win.

I was definitelly disappointed with this competition.

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 10:11 AM »
I definitely agree with you jpgaiva :)