ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Create web2.0 style stripe textures online with this fun tool

(1/5) > >>

mouser:
Create web2.0 style stripe textures online with this fun tool..

http://www.stripegenerator.com

allen:
Not an attack on you mouser . . . but this link is more than just a novel tool for me.  It's a cold, shocking reality check.  We're talking about somebody putting together an all out web design, complete with a blog, blog-independent comments, folksonomy functionality--all of this for a little ajax toy that . . . makes stripes.  It makes stripes.  I have to say it again.  It makes stripes.

Now, I will admit openly I'm not fond of this hype-tastic labelling "Web 2.0".  I think it's a vague, stupid label applied to any and everything shiny for the sake of stirring (oft undue) hype.  I mean, honestly, what is "Web 2.0" outside of that context? And this striped shit only serves to validate my qualms.

How did the author not choke on his own vommit when he dubbed his striper "The ultimate tool for web 2.0 designers" ? Seriously, a thing to make a striped texture is the ultimate tool for a web 2.0 designer?  To be 2.0, not only must you master ajax -- you too must, must, must don the striped uniform of the 2.0 movement. Forward thinking thinking web designers wear stripes!

Dubbed as anything else, I could have appreciated this tool.  But their jumping on, if not altogether hanging on, the 2.0 label -- going so far as to claim that stripes are the definitive tool of the web 2.0 designer -- it sickens me.  To me, the web 2.0 movement is to web development what the Boy Band and Pop Diva movements are to music.  Over hyped, over packaged shit that everybody devours.

Look at the comments on this thing--they are absolutely raving.  I assure you if it didn't claim to be definitive web 2.0, the comments would be mixed -- half people saying "WTF, it makes stripes? Who cares?" -- but hell, if it says it's 2.0, then by golly you'd better throw yourself at it. Love it. Lust after it.  After all, you aren't anybody unless you're 2.0!

But come on . . . this thing makes stripes. That's what it does. That's all it does. It . . . makes stripes.

Useful? In a limited context.  Web 2.0? Maybe. Definitive tool? I certainly hope not.

If I ever brand anything I create "Web 2.0", please--for the love of Bumba, Zeus, God, Lucifer, Tom Selleck: Kill me.

mouser:
Well i must admit to being totally 100% completely baffled by the fact that web2.0 supposedly has this "look" with these weird stripes and fonts.  It seems insane to me.

Here's wikipedia on "web 2.0":
"Web 2.0, a phrase coined by O'Reilly Media in 2003[1] and popularized by the first Web 2.0 conference in 2004[2] , refers to a perceived second generation of web-based communities and hosted services — such as social-networking sites, wikis and folksonomies — which facilitate collaboration and sharing between users. O'Reilly Media titled a series of conferences around the phrase, and it has since become widely adopted.

Although the term suggests a new version of the World Wide Web, it does not refer to an update to Web technical specifications, but to changes in the ways software developers and end-users use the web as a platform. According to Tim O'Reilly, "Web 2.0 is the business revolution in the computer industry caused by the move to the internet as platform, and an attempt to understand the rules for success on that new platform."
--- End quote ---

See also: http://www.martinblueprint.co.uk/wikka/wikka.php?wakka=HomePage

However if you didn't know any better just from browsing the web you might guess that web2.0 referred to the logo design style..

jgpaiva:
Now that's a decent rant!  ;D

I also agree with your point, allen, when i tried the tool i also throught "hmm.. is this all there is to this site?".
This site is about all i hate in apple's products. First, worry about making it beautiful, then add it some functionality just to say it isn't absolutelly worthless.

BTW.. See the "your stripes" section. They actually have a whole share / comment / rate / etc system associated with the stripes each person makes! How crazy is that?

I wonder if we aren't the ones who just don't understand how important stripes are for the development of human kind ;)

mouser:
Well i have to diverge from the criticism here..
I just appreciate the mechanics of the stripe generator, and i always enjoy when i see a site really focus on something that others take for granted.  so i kind of like how people are debating the merits of different strip patterns :)

I'm not saying it's important what stripe you have in your logo -- i'm just saying i think it's a fun site.  Much in the same way that i think the design of apple boxes is a fun issue of aesthetics and art, while at the same time i find it's role in *marketing* a product to be distasteful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version