ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

CLIPSTEP from Skrommel; Script MOD

<< < (2/12) > >>

skywalka:
Good luck with it.

I don't like the look of the Paste selection display.  It flickers when changing & the fact that the active selection is in the middle doesn't seem natural.  I'd prefer an option to view the tooltip instead of the current display display style.  What might work is a list of all the clips that can fit on screen & the selection moves through them with a colored highlight (exactly like the Start Menu).

PROBLEM:  If I use the mouse to Cut text & then use the keyboard to paste the mouse Cut text is not available.  Unfortunately, this was also the case in the original ClipStep.  However after cancelling ClipStep & then pasting with the mouse the pasted text is now the last viewed ClipStep entry & not the original mouse Cut text.  So you have lost your cut text forever!

I think the count format is unnecessarily complex.  eg:
13 - - 1 of 13  shold just be:
13 of 13

TWmailrec:
I changed from tooltip because unless your eyesight is good, it isnt clear what youre looking at; also, it is confusing if youre not looking at the clip you want, whether you should go backwards, or forwards, so presenting a view of previous, & current & next clip helps to suggest whether ^v or ^c is the right key. It is easy to change the display back to the original though, it is still in the program under the label SHOWCLIP0:. The active s/routine is
SHOWCLIP:

The new program does more than just present a list of all the clips that can fit on screen & the selection moves through them with a colored highlight. It offers proper search and a lot besides.

As for the heading, 13 - - 1 of 13 , this shows the clip filename, which can be very useful, especially if it goes into high nos. It is a bonus which can be easily removed.

Ive had a quick look at cut & paste with the mouse and found no problem, but then if I cut/copy with the mouse, I paste with the mouse too.

skywalka:
I changed from tooltip because unless your eyesight is good, it isnt clear what youre looking at; also, it is confusing if youre not looking at the clip you want, whether you should go backwards, or forwards, so presenting a view of previous, & current & next clip helps to suggest whether ^v or ^c is the right key. It is easy to change the display back to the original though, it is still in the program under the label SHOWCLIP0:. The active s/routine is
SHOWCLIP:-TWmailrec (August 15, 2007, 05:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
I understand why you did it & maybe it would be preferrable if the GUI was better.  As it is now you are substituting a new problem (ie the flickering & lack of highlighting) for the original (small text) problem.

The new program does more than just present a list of all the clips that can fit on screen & the selection moves through them with a colored highlight. It offers proper search and a lot besides.-TWmailrec (August 15, 2007, 05:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sounds good!

As for the heading, 13 - - 1 of 13 , this shows the clip filename, which can be very useful, especially if it goes into high nos. It is a bonus which can be easily removed.
-TWmailrec (August 15, 2007, 05:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
I understand & agree that showing the clip filename can be very useful.  I didn't say you should not display the clip filename.  I said the clip filename can be the same as the "sort number" so they should be.  In the case of Clip 13, it is not Clip 1 so why assign it the order of "1 of 13" and clutter the display?  It should just be 13 of 13.

Ive had a quick look at cut & paste with the mouse and found no problem, but then if I cut/copy with the mouse, I paste with the mouse too.
-TWmailrec (August 15, 2007, 05:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
1.  Cut with the mouse.
2.  Open ClipStep display but don't paste.
3.  Cancel ClipStep display.
4.  Paste with the mouse.

By opening ClipStep's display you have sent ClipStep's contents to the clipboard (even though you cancelled).

The text originally cut with the mouse is gone forever.

TWmailrec:
I havent got any flickering on my screen! what display are you using?
mine is a CRT; with image persistance the CRT shows no flicker perhaps.

Quote:
"I said the clip filename can be the same as the "sort number" so they should be"

This goes back to the way clipstep was originally written.
the "1" refers to the index no in an array. As you say it doesnt need to be displayed. If I remeber Ill remove it

quote:
"By opening ClipStep's display you have sent ClipStep's contents to the clipboard (even though you cancelled)"

I hadnt noticed that! - I nearly always Assign:
ClipboardPrev:=clipboard. Ill see if the reassign got missed off, after
abhort s/r.

I still have a tedious help file to write for the new program so it may be a week or two

skywalka:
I havent got any flickering on my screen! what display are you using?
mine is a CRT; with image persistance the CRT shows no flicker perhaps.
-TWmailrec (August 16, 2007, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's not the display.  Maybe flicker isn't the best terminology.  When I browse to a different clip the ClipStep "window" dissapears then reappears for a split second.  I have a zero second delay set for my system menus (like Start Menu, context menu) which look similar to ClipStep's display.  Maybe that's the problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version