Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 31, 2014, 12:58:16 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Free DonationCoder.com Member Kit: Submit Request.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Patch to Disable ACL access-control-lists  (Read 5662 times)
Shades

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 02:36:58 PM »

As far as I know, the NTFS version on Vista and its more modern kin use a transactional model to do the writing and reading to disk. Although that is an extra layer, in most cases it makes the filesystem faster and more reliable.

Until things go wrong, but I explained (or at least tried to) in a previous post on a different thread that I managed to make the Operating system lose contact with the file system (W2008 R2), which destroyed two huge Oracle test databases I maintain.

Anecdotal, but here goes:
Even after aligning the partitions on my XP computer I still feel that the new NTFS version on my W2008 R2 computer is faster (both use SATA2 disks).

mraeryceos
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2013, 04:36:24 AM »

deleted
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:53:25 AM by mraeryceos » Logged
Ath
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2013, 04:40:54 AM »

However, file handling was faster.
Can you elaborate on your benchmark method? And the speed-improvement (percentage) you found?

mraeryceos
Participant

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2013, 04:49:41 AM »

deleted
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:53:02 AM by mraeryceos » Logged
Ath
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2013, 10:20:17 AM »

But that doesn't anwer my questions ohmy

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2013, 04:01:51 PM »

FAT32 performs better on smaller partitions.
Quantify "performs better", please?

While ACLs and metadata journaling does "cost a bit", NTFS is a lot more efficient for file lookup than FAT is, and small files can have their content stored directly in the file's MFT record.

- carpe noctem
mraeryceos
Participant

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 05:50:13 AM »

deleted
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:52:34 AM by mraeryceos » Logged
Ath
Supporting Member

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2013, 06:48:54 AM »

Ath and F0dder.  "I found benchmarks online some time ago".  Google is your friend
Notice I edited the last comment
This still means nothing. No numbers, no comparison. Just give a link to the actual testing-tool you used and the configuration that was tested.

OT:
This is beginning to sound like a troll thread Angry

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.03s | Server load: 0.08 ]