ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: CPU monitor that plays sound according to activity

(1/2) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
This oughta be a fun one. :-)

I have a couple of long tasks I kick off and walk away from -- one is a compiler that takes about 7 minutes to complete and pegs the CPU at 100% (50% on a dual core) the while.  It would be great to be able to HEAR how the thing is doing while I'm in another part of the room.  Thus...

- Need a small utility that sits in the tray and monitors cpu activity
- Should handle multiple cores/cpu's and report on the TOTAL cpu usage
- Should play a small "blip" or hum or something that rises in tone/frequency for every percentage increment
- Should be entirely silent if average activity falls below a threshold (10%?)
- XP compatibility only; Vista not needed.  In fact, screw Vista.  Vista sucks.

Nice to have:

- Customizable sound (maybe select a .wav file?)
- Ability to select wanted/ignore unwanted processes by .exe name
- Upon falloff to 0% (or below threshold) for x seconds, play a "completed" sound.

Whatcha think?

mouser:
this is a fun idea.. might be something worth adding to my process tamer tool.

steeladept:
Yes, put it to music that we can blast if we want, and we will immediately know when the process is done (unless it jumps up and down like most I use).  That way we can use the PC to play musical chairs  :P

Seriously, though, I can imagine several uses of this.

f0dder:
one is a compiler that takes about 7 minutes to complete and pegs the CPU at 100% (50% on a dual core) the while.
-Ralf Maximus
--- End quote ---
Get a build system that supports parallelization... it's really great putting your dualcore system to work :D

Ralf Maximus:
one is a compiler that takes about 7 minutes to complete and pegs the CPU at 100% (50% on a dual core) the while.
-Ralf Maximus
--- End quote ---
Get a build system that supports parallelization... it's really great putting your dualcore system to work :D

-f0dder (July 04, 2007, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bah.  T'weren't for the extra core, my system would be locked up while the compile compiles.  :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version