ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

ZillaRank: An improved search for smf forum

<< < (12/25) > >>

Wordzilla:
one thing you could do is higher score to whole word matches..
-mouser (July 27, 2007, 07:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

We do that already, the content keyword density analysis is primarily about awarding whole word matches. As such topics with whole word matches get ranked significantly higher than those without.

mouser:
perfect  :up:

Wordzilla:
Maybe, if possible? ... search for match words in hole thread?
-AbteriX (July 27, 2007, 07:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's possible, although I believe it will hit hard on server. Potential server problem aside, I'm not sure if it's desirable. It seems to work well in this "Simpson fun" case (simpson is fun, after all ;)).

We have too many topics here (with numerous replies) where people share different opinions or even wander off the topic for a while. Expanding the search to entire thread for each search term will, while return more results, suffer a whole lot in relevance -- when:

We have 3 posts (1, 2, 3) in topic X, and 3 user search keywords A, B, C

Now -

Post 1 contains keyword A, but not B, C
Post 2 contains keyword B, but not A, C    <-- it disagrees with Post 1
Post 3 contains keyword C, but not A, B    <-- it wanders off the topic or is spam ;)

If we go with the new 'entire thread' method, the topic would match even if it's not all what the user was looking for!  :P

Additionally, it could allow those super-popular topics (with hundreds of replies) to become "catch all" since it's superabundant with mountainloads of keywords -- with none of the individual messages on its own relevant to the user search.

Wordzilla:
semi-related:
maybe we should have quick links on the advanced search page for:

* Show recent topics.
* Show unread posts  (since last visit).
* Show recent posts (full text display).
* Show new replies to your posts (unreplied topics).[/list]
-mouser (July 27, 2007, 06:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

They are on my todo list :) Shouldn't be a problem adding those link

Wordzilla:
First: i like to find all post no matter what subject from the last three days to see what happens.
f.ex. i was online but had no time to read all ..... and next i went online i don't see the last posts any more.

I know there is the way via "Forum > Recent Posts" ... but i guess find Recent Posts by search function is more native?
-AbteriX (July 27, 2007, 06:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not a bad idea at all. :up:  It seems more intuitive to tell forum to "display unread message in the last XX days".

Second: i like to see the search result in an compressed form... the subject lines only.
Sometimes this would help to find the wanted thread, especially for the issue mentioned above.
-AbteriX (July 27, 2007, 06:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was exactly what I did with Zillarank when it was still an independent script (not integrated into SMF by then)! :D  Actually I've been meaning to implement this, thanks for reminding me!!  :Thmbsup:

Added to my to-do list.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version