ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

ZillaRank: An improved search for smf forum

<< < (6/25) > >>

Wordzilla:
To search DonationCoder.com forum directly from within your browser, check out app103's plugins:

https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Other/ff/

:Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Wordzilla:
Forum search gets another update, which deals exclusively with relevance ranking (as I'm confident that previous updates already fixed missing results and excessive noise).

Currently the following factors are calculated to work out how relevant is a topic/post to your search query:

Original SMF Factors:

* Number of matching messages within a topic   (the more replies to a topic in which same keywords can be found, the more likely this topic is relevant)
* Age of last matching message   (we love latest news, how recent is this message?)
* Topic length   (number of replies in a topic. How interested are people in this discussion?)
* Matching subject   (bull's eye!)
* First message match   (sets the theme of the topic)
* Sticky topic   (moderator's "sponsored link")   (for now we are ignoring this factor)

Per-message Keyword Analysis:

Rarer keywords get higher points, cliched ones lower. And how concentrated are the keywords in a message? Suppose we just posted a super-lengthy newsletter on the forum, with truckloads of keywords -- there's a great chance that it'll match our query, however it shouldn't be well-ranked coz keywords are diluted.

Penalty for messages written with "Spartan brevity":

They get awarded for high keyword concentration but there won't be much to read. We don't like them. ;)

Active board ranking heuristic:

Most likely you are more interested in relevant topics within the board you are currently browsing, as such we give "local" matching topics an edge over others to catch you eye. ;)

First suggestion:
Ignore the "MOVED: " threads, since those are a repetition of the real thread.
-jgpaiva (July 04, 2007, 02:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm I haven't added any routine to check for MOVED posts at this time because:

1. Not so many "MOVED: " threads out there, it's unlikely to be efficient to add this check for every matching topic
2. They get penalized for "not saying much"

I hope this update will help you get to your targets in the shortest time possible.  :D

I have no doubt there's still much to be done when it comes to relevance ranking. so...

:feedback:

mouser:
awesome  :up:

cranioscopical:
It's an odd but pleasant sensation to find the search feature useful :greenclp:

mouser:
ZillaRank has a new update with a very cool new feature:
You can now sort by relevance or date from the search results page by clicking on columns.

Very very useful stuff - congratulations to wordzilla for his amazing coding work on this!  :up: :up: :up: :up:

(boo to simplemachines.org for not caring, what is going on with them? )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version