Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 30, 2014, 11:10:08 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: ZillaRank: An improved search for smf forum  (Read 146493 times)
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2007, 03:04:03 PM »

Survey: anyone having problems with forum search?  smiley

Not I.  I don't use it a lot, but it's delightful to find what I want, starting from only the most hazy scrap of recollection.  Hmm <search for "Send key">

Chris
Wordzilla
Forum Search Daemon
Charter Member

Two there should be; no more, no less.

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2007, 07:09:31 AM »

On Oct 18, we have received the following error message (first in over two months tongue) related to forum search:

[copy or print]
Database Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''retr'))
                                                FROM (smf_messages as m, smf_tmp_log_search_messages as lsm)
                ' at line 1

As we don't record user search queries I have no clue as to what search terms/conditions triggered this error. Please let us know if you ever got this error from forum search so we can fix it asap.  Thmbsup

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2007, 11:38:50 AM »

Do you construct the SQL strings safely, using placeholders? Any possibility of SQL injections?

- carpe noctem
rideikknight
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2007, 09:38:18 AM »

hay hay all Thmbsup just looking for some help in finding out what a pirate Dagger tellme is their A  card to make it or is it a Drop not sure and cant find any info for it need one for my Champion on Shidden RO just asking thanks and have a great day ALL  Rid. Thmbsup Cool

* 1784_warrior_caller.jpg (10.51 KB, 210x160 - viewed 574 times.)
Ralf Maximus
Supporting Member

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2007, 09:42:02 AM »

Just a reminder, folks: voting is still open for the Most Senseless Posting of 2007.
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2007, 10:10:48 AM »

Just a reminder, folks: voting is still open for the Most Senseless Posting of 2007.

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2008, 07:45:47 AM »

is the default search set to all words (& not to "any words")?

the other day I was searching for a thread - "site for searching for geographical features?" is the title
I searched for "Finding Geographical features"
it found nothing
but then on the advanced search page that comes up, I selected "any words"
and found my thread, but I think it was #12 in spite of being the first with both "geographical" and "features"

very happy with search smiley but thought I'd ask anyways

Tom
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2008, 08:55:19 AM »

i'm not so sure but iirc once you set the option to "Match all words" then it's stays that way.. undecided

Wordzilla
Forum Search Daemon
Charter Member

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2008, 04:49:33 PM »

is the default search set to all words (& not to "any words")?

Yes, default search requires all keywords in your query to appear in the same post or topic subject.

the other day I was searching for a thread - "site for searching for geographical features?" is the title
it found nothing

I had a look at the thread in question, and it didnt contain the word "Finding". The search engine, at this stage, does not automatically expand the query with synonyms, so if you look for a "required" keyword that does not exist in the target thread, it will not show up.  smiley

tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2008, 03:59:12 AM »

it found nothing

I had a look at the thread in question, and it didnt contain the word "Finding". The search engine, at this stage, does not automatically expand the query with synonyms, so if you look for a "required" keyword that does not exist in the target thread, it will not show up.  smiley
okay.
Yes, default search requires all keywords in your query to appear in the same post or topic subject.
do you not think it would be better to use the "any words" search as default ... hmmm, pros and cons there I guess undecided
I'm sure you thought about it all

but then on the advanced search page that comes up, I selected "any words"
and found my thread, but I think it was #12 in spite of being the first with both "geographical" and "features"
was wondering here -
does the search favour the first word?

Tom
Eddy Matthews
Participant

« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2008, 03:59:28 AM »

Would it be possible to modify DCSMFSearch so that it also searches for attached files?

At the moment there is no way to search for any attached filenames etc, and it would be a great addition if it could be done?

Many thanks
Eddy
Wordzilla
Forum Search Daemon
Charter Member

« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2008, 12:43:20 AM »

was wondering here -
does the search favour the first word?

Nope. Words are not treated differently based on their positions.

Wordzilla
Forum Search Daemon
Charter Member

« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2008, 12:48:03 AM »

Would it be possible to modify DCSMFSearch so that it also searches for attached files?

At the moment there is no way to search for any attached filenames etc, and it would be a great addition if it could be done?

Many thanks
Eddy

I'll have to look into SMF tables that store attachments if this new feature is to be added. Dont know if there'll be an impact on search performance.

From my point of view, most attachment filenames are senseless. Wink

Eddy Matthews
Participant

« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2008, 02:37:05 AM »

Thankyou...

I understand what you say about filenames, but most of my users are pretty good and give the files meaningful names. However wether the filenames are garbage or good, the fact remains that there is no way to search for them currently, either with DCSMFSearch or SMF Sad

Regards
Eddy
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2008, 04:31:28 PM »

I just came across a situation the other day with regards to searching forum profiles. You can search for member names (providing either a full or partial name), but you can't search profiles for content.

It would be nice if in addition to the member search, forum search, site search, if there was a profile search option that would be based on content and not member name.

Currently, for example, if someone mentions a specific term in their profile and I can't remember who that was, I can't find it.

I also can't search for home page URL's to figure out if a particular site belongs to a forum member. I recently ended up on a site that looked so darn familiar and I don't know why. It's not the kind of site I would end up on by accident or follow a link from somewhere else on another site. I believe it may belong to a member of this forum, but I really can't be sure...and not knowing is driving me nuts.

spismf
Participant

« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2008, 10:45:19 AM »

Hi there,

Nice to see the search implmentation here! Im a BIG fan of this search mod and have been using it for slightly over 7 months. now that 1.1.6 is out any chance you can upload an update? and will we have this awesome mod for 2.0?

-Jeff
around
Participant

« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2010, 08:15:28 AM »

can't find anything here
will not be back
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2010, 07:43:42 PM »

can't find anything here
will not be back

perhaps ASKING might have helped if you failed with searching?  Just my two cents

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss

Dex
Charter Member

« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2011, 01:14:11 PM »

I tried to install ZillaRank improved search mod on my forum which is using 1.1.13, but it gives an error saying:
Execute Modification    ./Sources/Search.php    Test failed (all the other files say OK)

I have a few small mods but none of them touch Search.php and just in case, I uploaded a fresh file from the SMF zip, but still got the same error

I guess it must be compatible with the latest release version of SMF as it's used right here on DC, but can anyone tell me for sure that's it's OK to use it on 1.1.13?
If it is, I'll make the manual edits as it works great here on DC

Best regards
Dex
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2011, 07:37:51 PM »

it works on all of the 1.1x versions, and we havent had to change anything so yes it should work for you.
Dex
Charter Member

« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2011, 06:14:31 AM »

Thanks Mouser, I'll make the changes to the file manually.

Best regards
Dex

PS, I like the "Add Preset text" mod too
Jimbo88
Participant

« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2011, 02:00:50 AM »

i want a kind word and a piece of gum! but i can't find a search form  cheesy
JoTo
Super Honorary
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2011, 02:58:41 AM »

Hi Jimbo88,

At the top of the page, right under the header you can find a magnifying glass icon with a textbox, a combobox (drop down) and a search button. In the text box you enter your search words and with the combobox you can decide the range of your search (e.g. whole forum, only this board, blah blah). Then press the search button to start your search.

If you need more experienced features you find a right under that a line saying "Forum Home My Profile Thread Marks Member Map Chat! Downloads Search Unread Posts". If you click on Search you get a comprehensive search form where you can define all aspects of your search.

HTH
JoTo
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.056s | Server load: 0.16 ]