topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help with VisitURL  (Read 5668 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Help with VisitURL
« on: July 03, 2007, 10:55 PM »
i am trying out this program called VisitURL (which is btw, from the author of KeyNote). since i prefer VisitURL not to minimize after launching URLs, i unchecked this setting: Options > Misc > Browser settings > Minimize visit.

ws-visiturl-error-0.png

however, i noticed that a error message pops-up if i disable that setting. since the program is discontinued, i was hoping that someone here may be able to provide a work-around for this. :)

ws-visiturl-error-1.png
http://www.tranglos....m/free/visiturl.html

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help with VisitURL
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 11:01 PM »
message tranglos so he see's the post :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 11:10 PM »
good idea, mouser. :Thmbsup: ok, done that! btw, don't worry, i also have a bug report to bug you with.. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 11:11 PM »
damn it i knew i should have stayed in lurker mode!

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 05:39 PM »
however, i noticed that a error message pops-up if i disable that setting. since the program is discontinued, i was hoping that someone here may be able to provide a work-around for this. :)

Okay, I don't recall much about what's going on in VisitURL there, and don't know if I'll be able to recompile it anymore. I do know that the ShellExecute call (used to start programs as well as launch URLs) sometimes returns weird return values, and it is entirely possible that VisitURL interprets an okay value as error.

What OS are you using? (And I hope it's XP or 2000, because these are the only ones I can test with ;) FWIW, I am not seeing this behavior on XP, and it shouldn't be happening under Win95 either, since I was using 95 to develop the app.

Secondly, when the error message shows, does the browser still launch with the correct URL?

Thirdly: when the "Always default" checkbox is checked, VisitURL ignores the browser specified in the edit box (it launches the url directly, and the system takes care of picking the correct browser app.). Could you please try unchecking that box and see if the error goes away?

marek

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 08:40 PM »
thanks for replying, tranglos.. here's the details: i'm using WinXP (SP2) with Firefox as default browser. The url is launched correctly even though the error message appears and i have also tried several combinations - changing the default browser and toggling the "Always default" button. But in short, it's cosmetic no functionality is affected. :)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 06:35 AM »
thanks for replying, tranglos.. here's the details: i'm using WinXP (SP2) with Firefox as default browser. The url is launched correctly even though the error message appears and i have also tried several combinations - changing the default browser and toggling the "Always default" button. But in short, it's cosmetic no functionality is affected. :)

Thanks for that. So it does seem that I am interpreting a normal return code as an error. Let me see if I can fix that. (I dread looking at that old code!)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 01:06 AM »
thanks again, sorry for the trouble.. now, i'm using AHK to close the error message as it appears so take your time.. :)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 08:57 PM »
thanks again, sorry for the trouble.. now, i'm using AHK to close the error message as it appears so take your time.. :)

I really didn't want to look at that code **Shudder**

It's fixed, though! I've fixed the bug, at least I think so, and you can download the update here:
http://www.tranglos....e/files/visit175.zip

It's not an installer - just unzip and overwrite your existing version with visit.exe from this archive (but keep a backup just in case :-))

marek

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 09:12 PM »
thanks tranglos, it works! :)