topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Need help to find Windows XP Services that run FARR  (Read 4255 times)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Need help to find Windows XP Services that run FARR
« on: July 03, 2007, 04:09 PM »
Hi,

I did a booboo!!   :(
Ran a tweaking program without making any registry backups and FARR won't launch any of the selected programs even if enabled in program options. Anyone have an idea of which Windows Services are essential for FARR?

Thank you!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need help to find Windows XP Services that run FARR
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 04:33 PM »
If you are running XP and you didn't turn off System Restore, you may be able to roll back to a restore point from before you made the changes...like maybe yesterday. (just remember it will undo everything you did to your system since then, such as installing programs)

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 04:33 PM »
Ran a tweaking program without making any registry backups
Say it isn't so!!! :o

Which tweaking program did you run? Have you rebooted since then? You might want to reopen the tweak program to see if it tells you which services it turns off, although I can't think of a service that would disable FARR's ability to launch a program.

Your best bet is to refer to Black Vipers Services page to see what the recommended settings are. You can go to his homepage to view each setting and its recommendation. Or, just download the reg file from MajorGeeks:
http://www.majorgeek...ry_Tweaks_d5381.html

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 04:58 PM »
before you try restoring the system i think you should pursue your current approach to find out what setting might cause this.  trying to restore the system state or just muck around in general is asking for trouble.  better to keep trying to find someone or some site which can tell you clearly what service chance is causing the problem.  it also has the benefit of learning something that can be of use if it happens to someone else.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 05:15 PM »
before you try restoring the system i think you should pursue your current approach to find out what setting might cause this.  trying to restore the system state or just muck around in general is asking for trouble.  better to keep trying to find someone or some site which can tell you clearly what service chance is causing the problem.  it also has the benefit of learning something that can be of use if it happens to someone else.

Yep. I've been trying by enabling/disabling those programs that have been set to disabled status and have failed to have FARR work yet. That is, the launch programs part of course.

TweakXP by Total Idea is the program i used. It's odd, as i remember using it before and don't recall it stopping FARR from working.

This program disabled System Restore so you know...
Yes, I know, always make a registry backup...  Ugh!

:-[

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 10:00 AM »
Just FYI and to show Mouser how important this program is to me, i'm in the process of reinstalling my notebook.

FARR is by far one of the top 5 programs i use every day now.

:-*