ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: timer that counts resting, interruptions, and work as separate entries

(1/3) > >>

urlwolf:
This could be an easy project and very useful for many.

Here is the idea.
This is yet another tool to know how much you work/procrastinate, but with a twist. It must be lways on top.
It will have Three digital clocks:
      Yellow clock is the MAIN countdown timer. Has a set interval (say 60 min) and warns you once it's over. That's your time for rest. Has a small number that counts how many intervals you have consumed
      Can be paused/resumed with a shortcut

Red Clock, it's a 'unscheduled pause' timer, goes up while the main countdown is paused. Records how often you hit pause, and it shows the # of pauses next to it. This is indicative of how often you are interrupted.

Green Clock counts resting time. The difference with the red clock is that this is a scheduled pause, not an interruption. If you hit the start button (well, the shortcut) too early -i.e., not taking the scheduled rest- it'll warn you, but let you do it. The log will show you how many rests you skipped.

At the end of the day, it writes a small report to disk, with date/rest etc. this would be easy to track in excel. It'll also show a timeline (gant chart) of your day in the three colors.

I'd love to have such a tool, as it follows the advice of many time management gurus!

Anyone up for it?

Thanks

urlwolf:
Ok, so it looks like nobody is interested in coding this application.
But would you be interested in _using_ such a system?

I'm asking that because I think it's useful enough for me to either code it myself or delegate it...

mouser:
I think app103, maker of InstantBoss should have a look at this idea, i think it has merit.  i like the idea.

tomos:
But would you be interested in _using_ such a system?

I'm asking that because I think it's useful enough for me to either code it myself or delegate it...
-urlwolf (July 04, 2007, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes,
I'd be very interested in using something like that.

I use instant boss & was combining it with TaskLog which I liked but it doesnt recognise when the computer goes into hibernation which i use a lot. (nor does Timekeeper for that matter)

Red Clock, it's a 'unscheduled pause' timer, goes up while the main countdown is paused. Records how often you hit pause, and it shows the # of pauses next to it. This is indicative of how often you are interrupted.
--- End quote ---

I find anything which requires user input (which isn't forced on you..) tends to get left by the wayside - by me at any rate.
i.e. if I have to hit pause button (or shortcut for pause) when I take a break I'm guaranteed to forget it more often than not... so something that can recognise my absence would be good!

Otherwise sounds good to me - one thing I was considering requesting App to add - or take away I mean -  from Instant Boss was keyboard control - I keep pressing return at the wrong time & it thinks I'm working when I'm not &/or vice-versa.
Use of a designated shortcut would get around that though I guess

xarch:
 One question about the Green clock is it an setable interval? I mean do you wnat it to be setable like for 5 minutes and when the main timer ends and it`s time to rest it counts down from 10 mins to 0 and when it is finish starts the main timer again ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version