topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New Books Cheaper  (Read 4219 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New Books Cheaper
« on: July 09, 2007, 02:01 PM »
I know this isn't software, but I buy lots of books on software topics. (Hi Mouser!  :P ) Today I became aware of a brand new book published by O'Reily, Beautiful Code: Leading Programmers Explain How They Think. I really wanted it, and it is probably worth well more than the full retail price of ~$45 USD. But then I remembered a flyer that was stuck in an order I made to Buy.com for a USB thumb drive. The flyer advertised that Buy.com has books 10% lower than Amazon.com. I decided to take a look. Sure enough, they do, and they also offered free shipping. It only cost me ~$27 USD.

I probably won't read this book for month or years, but I sure got a good deal. I imagine some of the more serious programmers on the DC forums (and I'm sure that includes many lurkers) may be interested in this book.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Books Cheaper
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 04:09 AM »
Using a quick search on AddAll.com as mentioned in a post here, I found it at Amazon for 24.95.  Shipping made the cost just over $28 (for my location); but the book was ~$25.  Not sure that 10% off is actually accurate, but it does sound like you got a decent deal overall.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 04:11 AM by steeladept »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:26 AM »
Using a quick search on AddAll.com as mentioned in a post here, I found it at Amazon for 24.95.  Shipping made the cost just over $28 (for my location); but the book was ~$25.  Not sure that 10% off is actually accurate, but it does sound like you got a decent deal overall.
My post contains the link to Amazon, and the price is $29.69. If you look more closely at the results at AddAll.com, Amazon is quoted at $29.69 as well. I think you are misreading the search results as "Amazon (MARKETPLACE-NEW)" is NOT Amazon.com, it means some vendor selling via Amazons.com's site. Amazon.com's listing simply says "Amazon", and is number seven from the top at the time I am writing this.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 02:34 PM »
Yes, you are right.  That is the same thing I saw.  I just thought it was another outlet that Amazon uses, not other vendors.  Regardless, the price difference is pretty negligible after shipping as we pointed out.