ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A question about DRM

<< < (5/7) > >>

Jimdoria:
Microsoft is working on several DRM schemes. The DRM embedded in Vista applies to HD content only for the time being. In other words, consumers are unlikely to be aware of the presence of DRM now, just after Vista's release, as it is currently only applied to content that is expensive, not widely available, and requires expensive hardware to play.

There is nothing in theory or in practice to prevent MS from applying this DRM to any content. They have already changed their marketing speak from saying Vista's DRM protects "premium content" to saying it protects "commercial content."

For the the best summary I have seen, check out A Cost Analysis of Vista Content Protection. Even if you just skim it, you'll see enough to at least furrow your brow. And as much as I love to point out how greedy and awful Microsoft can be, it's not possible to lay this monstrous infant exclusively at their doorstep. They're simply following the dictates of the content producers: the movie and music industries, which had been refining their particular blend of evil for a hundred years before Microsoft was even a gleam in Bill G.'s myopic eye.

Anyway, this is only one piece of their DRM strategy - applied at the OS level to what's generally considered media (audio and video). But there is also MS' copy-restriction in Office. This feature was added into Office 2003, but it requires an extra server component from MS and extra software installed on the client PC in order to implement. With Office 2003/2007 on Vista, this will not be the case, and as companies adopt Vista they will find it easier to implement end-to-end copy protection for documents, e-mail, etc.

So if you get into a legal dispute with your employer, or you decide to turn whistleblower on some illegal or other questionable activity at your workplace, you may just find that any evidence you've collected to bolster your case suddenly renders itself inaccessible when you try to present it.

So let's see, Microsoft's plans are to use DRM to lock down video, audio, documents, spreadsheets, presentations, e-mail... what's left?

Lashiec:
Software, as I said, and you know what kind of...

Jimdoria:
Curt, if you've got Windows Media Player and a music CD, you can make your own DRM files. In WMP 11, if I choose Rip and then More Options.. I can click on the Rip Music tab and check the "Copy Protect Music" box.

Then what happens, according to the help file, is:
If you copy protect the tracks that you rip from a CD, the ripped files are protected, which means that media usage rights are required to play, burn, or sync the file. If you copy the files to another computer and try to use them, you might be prompted to download media usage rights for that computer. There are a limited number of times that you can download media usage rights for your ripped files.
--- End quote ---

Wouldn't know what this actually means, as I'd never use such an option myself and can't see why anyone else would either.  :huh:

Lashiec, locking out FOSS is part of the strategy as well. Check out the second link about content producers. "Good" hardware will be illegal to manufacture. (Actually, according to the first article I linked, you can't even get Vista to play HDD content at full 1080P resolution. The DRM-compliant components needed do not yet exist!)

PaladinMJ:
well I seem to have set off a firekeg LOL. I am currently arguing with direct2Drive about my issue, have been through 6 "people" so far. I found a work around I ran a A/V cable from my video card to the TV. It works its ackward and a hassle but eh..

As for Vista, I know all about the new DRM tech hidden in it. It will NEVER go on one of my systems until I am not treated like A criminal that is already guilty. Thats MY feelings on it.

I realize and agree that artists and such deserve to protect their livelihood. Just don't treat me like a yet-to-be-caught-but-we-know-you-are criminal. It erks me and angers me. I've bled for this nation and damn it i'm innocent until proven guilty. Errr crap /Rant OFF LOL

PaladinMJ:
Sorry if I came off a bit harsh. I wasn't trying to suggest that PaladinMJ was interested in pirating the video clips. I was trying to mock the attitude of the companies that implement this kind of DRM. In other words, they ASSUME you are a pirate even when you only want to apply fair use rights to content you paid for.

I guess the sarcasm got lost somehow.

I also get frustrated by posts like this, because they make it obvious to me that there are people such as PaladinMJ and cmpm who don't know what DRM is and I feel like they really should know, but how does one effectively spread the word on something like this? Even here, where I'd expect posters to be fairly tech savvy, knowledge about DRM seems to be far from universal.

-Jimdoria (July 05, 2007, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
Jimdoria: I agree everyone should know about DRM. And I infact do... If they had any mention of DRM being included in the files I would have made no request about removing it as I would not have supported the company.
HOWEVER D2D has since updated the page to include information about the included DRM. when I purchased the files, this part of their site and business was still "under development". I am usually VERY careful about these things.
I agree with you that people need to be savvy about their tech products and rights. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version