topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Writing Software  (Read 17487 times)

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • BECOMING A WRITER SERIOUSLY
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Writing Software
« on: July 02, 2007, 04:51 PM »
A couple months back, I ran into a brief review about Scribus, a word processor for the Mac, with powerful bibliographic and note-taking capabilities. Sounds too good to be true.  I've put a brief reference to it on my blog.  So far, though, I've found no one who uses it.

Tom
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 11:22 AM by TomColvin »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Has anyone tried Scribus?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 06:31 PM »
It was mentioned in the following thread (started last October but still receiving comments last week):

https://www.donation...index.php?topic=5763

and also in the DC newsletter at:

https://www.donation...index.php?topic=5763

Not sure if this is the same Scribus or not though? You didn't give a link so there may be another application called Scribus for the Mac that is totally unrelated.

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 08:42 PM »
Opps, just realized the MAC software I really meant to mention is called Scrivener, reviewed at 43 Folders back on January 21:

http://www.43folders...21/scrivener-review/

I'm beginning to learn my way around the Forum -- will search back threads.  There's enough back there to keep my busy for weeks!

Tom

edit by jgpaiva: fixing url
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:10 AM by jgpaiva »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 03:59 AM »
I'm beginning to learn my way around the Forum -- will search back threads.  There's enough back there to keep my busy for weeks!

a word of warning (!) the forum search is pretty much a waste of time (imo) -
if you use Firefox there's a very good search plugin

if no FF you can download a file with, well, all the posts which you can then index and search.

There is a way to use google to search the forums only but I'm not too sure on that

Find relevant Links in Lanux128's signature!!

Tom
Tom

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 10:26 AM »
Thanks, Tom, for the FireFox plug-in hint.  It's installed.  Apparently the MAC word processor Scrivener has never been discussed here.

Tom

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 10:41 AM »
I don't think there are huge numbers of Mac users about on this forum. Shoot me if I am wrong  :-[

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 06:40 AM »
Opps, just realized the MAC software I really meant to mention is called Scrivener, reviewed at 43 Folders back on January 21:

http://www.43folders...21/scrivener-review/

Looks interseting.

Have you tried NoteBox Disorganiser it's portable so easy to try out.
I have looked at it but havent used it as such

NOTEBOX DISORGANIZERIIe: Huh? What?

When it comes to keeping notes in a tidy and organized fashion on your computer, you've got your pick of dozens of programs -- most of which involve a tree-view layout, into which you're expected to tuck everything neatly away.

ND2e, on the other hand, is for people who like to keep their mess splattered all across the screen right where they can see it.
NoteBox.pngWriting Software
for more details click here http://www.geocities.com/goosnargh37/ & also for features:
http://www.geocities...37/docs.html#menubar

It shows notes in boxes - 100 of them - you can scroll & have them various sizes - at full screen window they are almost like a spreadsheet.
Categories - havent figured them out ...
read here -
http://www.geocities...argh37/category.html
sounds like tagging...

PS would you consider changing name of thread?
EDIT: fixed links
Tom
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 06:44 AM by tomos »

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 12:00 AM »
NoteBox Disorganizer sounds interesting indeed.  I think it's been discussed here before -- reference popped up during Google search.  Will take a look at it.  THANKS for bringing to my attention

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 08:14 AM »
I've been looking at evernote again
-
especially seeing as there's a 60% discount for members here at dc
and
there's a new version out - Amando comments in the General brainstorming for Note-taking software

In  ways the structure of Evernote is actually very similar to NoteBox.
(Evernote has a NoteList view with list of notes on top & shows selected note in lower pane)
Export unfortunately doesnt include .RTF option (which NoteBox does) but does export as text file -
and as XML, html and mht

I'm another person who want's to write -
I want to write (essays I guess..) about various but often related subjects.
The ease of tagging in Evernote seems like it might be very helpful for my needs

I've scraps of paper everywhere with things written on them so maybe I'll just go give it a try...   :)
Tom
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 08:22 AM by tomos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 08:31 AM »

a word of warning (!) the forum search is pretty much a waste of time (imo) -
if you use Firefox there's a very good search plugin

In-forum search is now very good  :) thanks to Wordzilla (you might be interested in his thesaurus as well)

I know it's probably not very important but I still think it would be helpful to change name of thread seeing as it has nothing to do with scribus  :P - maybe to something about writing software? - but whatever you think..
(If you edit first post you can change the name there)
Tom

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Writing Software
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 12:00 PM »
Thanks for the hint about how to change HEADER TITLE in mid-stream -- it's done.

And thanks for the reminder about Mobysaurus, long on my list of programs to recommend to my blog readers.  I never realized there was a connection with DonationCoders, an extra bonus.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 03:11 PM »
The ease of tagging in Evernote seems like it might be very helpful for my needs

Especially if you rely on the "keyword filtering" functionality : just create small abbreviations that you can quickly enter in your texts (while you write) and associate these abbreviations with categories (properties-->filter--> "Automatically assign this category to all notes that have the following keywords:"

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 03:44 AM »
searched here & in Tom's blog but couldnt find anything about this
(havent tried it myself)

TextArranger is a multiple textbook manager
which provides up to 5 separate textbooks. Each
textbook can contain an unlimited number of different
texts ordered in a hierarchical tree structure. So it is
easy to combine texts of the same context in a folder
and keep a clear overview of the information.

LINK HERE!
Feature Overview:
# Richtext, Bitmap and JPEG support
# Folders of different colors
# Textbook Compression
# Strong text encryption (Blowfish)
# External editors can be used
# Custom colors and font
# System tray support
# Detailed help file

TextArrangerBig.jpgWriting Software

Free/Donationware!
Tom
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 03:47 AM by tomos »

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 08:08 AM »
Tomos, thanks for the alert about TextArranger.  I just looked it over and tried to figure out just how I would use it.  I haven't come up with any ideas that are not covered by other software just as well.  Maybe I'm missing something.  How would you put it to use, as a writer?

On the other hand, at the same site is Zero Timer.  I've had this one on my computer for over a year now -- very useful as a countdown timer, though in the package are also clocks that do other things as well.    Zero Timer is free, kinda -- one assigns a separate clock to a single project, but one must pay for multiple clocks with the same function.  Therefore, Zero Timer is a good, free alternative to track one project.  However, I've come to prefer Countdown Pro, which handles many projects in a single window, scrolling through them [it has a neat screensaver module too].  If my memory is correct, Countdown Pro costs $15.  I've been meaning to review these two programs, but other topics always seem to get my attention.

Tom
http://www.becoming-a-writer-seriously.com

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 03:26 PM »
Tomos, thanks for the alert about TextArranger.  I just looked it over and tried to figure out just how I would use it.  I haven't come up with any ideas that are not covered by other software just as well.  Maybe I'm missing something.  How would you put it to use, as a writer?

First:
well I just came across it in my download folder & went to the web page for a look (hadn't even gotten round to installing it.. so thanks for checking it out!)
Second:
I'm not very familiar with software for writing (learning from your blog though!)
Third: :-[ I aspire to write ... as opposed to being "a writer"  :D

PS you can just paste a URL - it will automatically show up as a link. I'm sure there's a post somewhere telling you how to get fancier with links (if you want!)... will look see
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 04:47 PM »
Aside ... how to do fancy URLS
If you want URLs to appear just type them thus: http://www.test.com and it will automatically be recognised as a URL

If you want to be a bit fancier you can use the "Insert hyperlink" button in the message editor. It will pop up a bit of code with URL and /URL in square brackets [ and  ]. To get a fancy link like this: test the easiest way is to type the word 'test' (the link text), highlight it with the mouse and then click the 'insert hyperlink' button and the following will be inserted into your message:

[url]test[/url]

Now before the first ] type = followed by the URL so it looks like:

[url=http://www.test.com]test[/url]

and that is it.

References to 'code' can be ignored, they are just there to force the forum to display the BBCode tags rather than use them to display URLs etc.

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 10:09 PM »
I've uncovered a couple of other major, comprehensive reviews of Office Suite alternatives and have just posted my own elaborations on my Becomine A Writer blog [link below].  Some of you may also be interested in the ONLINE WRITER'S OFFICE I've just set up, available for anyone to use.  It includes a gateway to Zoho Writer, some additional writer's tools, a bunch of blogs, columns and podcasts for writers, along with a summary of my blog's 10 most recent posts.  This mashup was developed through a PageCast, a new facility from PageFlakes  Just click on the link on my blog's sidebar.

Tom