topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - DcUpdater - 1.32.01 - May 9, 2017  (Read 178950 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - DcUpdater - 1.15.01 - July 11, 2007
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 06:55 PM »
What version of farr are you using?

2.00.126  Thanks for the response.  I missed the "FindAndRunRobot.dcupdate" file, it is there.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 07:44 PM »
mouser, in the version 1.15.02, the exe has been renamed to DcUppdater.exe. is this intentional?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 07:48 PM »
yes it was intentional.  the reason is quite crazy.

when testing on vista, the updater was freaking out and causing all kinds of UAC alerts. 

it turns out (as Taichimaster discovered) that the reason for this was that vista tries to be clever about handling setup/install programs specially with their new account elevation stuff, and when vista was seeing the word update in the program name, this was triggered.  so i had to rename to uppdater to avoid this :)

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 08:45 AM »
yes it was intentional.  the reason is quite crazy.

when testing on vista, the updater was freaking out and causing all kinds of UAC alerts. 

it turns out (as Taichimaster discovered) that the reason for this was that vista tries to be clever about handling setup/install programs specially with their new account elevation stuff, and when vista was seeing the word update in the program name, this was triggered.  so i had to rename to uppdater to avoid this :)

Well, I think we should come up with a completely new name then.  I wouldn't want people to see that and think you are a horrible speller. And, you know they will.

Edit:  I saw someone refer to it as "DCU" in another thread, how about retaining the name DCUpdater and just change the exe to dcu.exe?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 08:54 AM by Tekzel »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007, 10:52 AM »
DC Appdater - the application updater  :D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2007, 12:58 AM »
Mouser, here's a small thing to consider.

Using DC Updater (1.16.01) with my system heavily burdened by other online tasks:
  • DC Updater found several updates, including itself.
  • It takes a long time to grab the updates (due to other system activity here).
  • DC Updater updates itself first, creating the need to restart other update downloads.

Should Updater hold off on updating itself until its tasks are finished?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2007, 01:03 AM »
this came up today in another thread (https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=9206.0)
and the answer is yes, it's on my todo list, definitely is needed  :up:

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 11:49 AM »
this came up today in another thread (https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=9206.0)
and the answer is yes, it's on my todo list, definitely is needed  :up:

Actually, I think it should go the other way.  If DCUpdater sees that there are several updates, including itself, I think it should hold all other updates until IT is updated.  That just seems more logical to me.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 11:54 AM »
I agree with DcUpdater updating itself first. This way, if the new update has any new functionality, it can be utilized immediately. For example, there may be a bug in DcUpdater that prevents some other app from updating. That bug could be fixed in the newly available version of DcUpdater.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2007, 03:59 PM »
Mouser - While waiting for the http: proxy, I need to download the software manually, but on the download page it is still the June 30th release, version 1.12.05.  Will you be updating this too soon?

Thanks

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2007, 04:23 PM »
yes i will at the end of the month when FARR 2 goes public.
from the updater if you drag up the bottom of the panel, youll be able to see the download url.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2007, 06:42 PM »
DC Appdater - the application updater  :D

I second the vote for program to be renamed the Appdater! the Uppdater looks retarded and it broke it's own start menu shortcuts when it changed to that name. Ha!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2007, 09:48 PM »
Just ran 1.17.01 and it's lost all entries other than itself.
Tried dragging the FARR folder onto it but it doesn't arrive on the updates tab.
(XP SP2)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2007, 02:52 AM »
 :tellme: I just found this via a search, can't believe I hadn't seen this yet. Seems to work well (even on Vista)- can't wait for all DC programs to be supported :)

Edit: I don't use Vista's User Annoyance Creator, though :P
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 02:54 AM by wreckedcarzz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2007, 03:30 PM »
I just tried this program, great idea!  But I don't have any .dcupdate files except for the program itself.  Not even for FARR.  Where can I get these files, or how else can I include them in the list?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2007, 03:35 PM »
superboy, when you install the newer versions of FARR, the dcupdater will have entries for it.  Also when you launch the updater from FARR itself.

other DC apps are not built with support for the updater yet, that will come starting in august.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2007, 03:55 PM »
superboy, when you install the newer versions of FARR, the dcupdater will have entries for it.  Also when you launch the updater from FARR itself.

other DC apps are not built with support for the updater yet, that will come starting in august.

Ah!  Very cool!  Works like a charm.  You know, there was a pretty cool plugin for Total COmmander that I almost used diligently that would check for updates for software.  but it was more like website-watcher than a true update checker, because you would point it to the text on the website that indicated the version number, and when it changed, it would notify you.  Not quite as slick as this.

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2007, 09:10 AM »
Heeeey Mouser.  Just something I was wondering, and you may have addressed in the PAD file discussion.  But, I will ask it anyway as I like being redundant.  Will we be able to add an entry to point to a 3rd party program's PAD file entry, hopefully put in an update frequency individually (maybe have a "default" frequency that is used if not specified otherwise) and have it check for programs with no .dcupdate file?  Or we can use one of the existing .dcupdate files and make our own for a program we use frequently that isn't from DC. 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2007, 02:13 PM »
Will we be able to add an entry to point to a 3rd party program's PAD file entry, hopefully put in an update frequency individually (maybe have a "default" frequency that is used if not specified otherwise) and have it check for programs with no .dcupdate file?

The basic idea is this:
The .dcupdate file is a local file, it tells dcupdater what file on the web to check for version info, how to install a new version, and miscelaneous information about the program.

In the ideal case of a dcupdate-supported program, the author of the program does the following:
  • Creates a .dcupdate file in the program's directory, which is installed with the program and always specifies the current installed version of the program.
  • Creates a version.xml file which is a tiny file placed on the server which only holds version # of the program.  This is the file normally checked by the dcupdater, and the fact that its so small is good because it minimies bandwidth when thousands of people are constantly checking it every day.

To support a program that is not "made for dcupdater", then dcupdater will have to do something like this:
  • Let the user ask to create a new entry, which will result in a new .dcupdate file being created on their pc (or they can download a dcupdate file from a friend or forum).  If the user has the url of a pad file, nearly all information dcupdater needs to make a new dcupdate file can be found in the pad file.
  • This dcupdate file will describe the program and where the PAD FILE of the program is located (or it might even have a regular expression designed to parse version number from a program web page).  The point is the dcupdate file will have instructions on how to figure out the current web version of the program.  Dcupdater will be able to parse a pad file to get the web version and download url and webpage, etc, so a pad file is ideal for this.  But I may add code that minimizes bandwidth by checking http headers, etc.
  • The dcupdate file will also contain information on how to locate the locally installed version of the program.  Since the program isnt made for dcupdate, it won't have a dcupdate file in its directory which is kept up to date.  So dcupdater will have to get the version # from the exe file, OR by having dcupdater manually update it on install of new version.

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2007, 01:45 PM »
It sounds like you have really thought this thing out!  The hardest part will be supporting non-dcupdate programs, but your scheme sounds like it would work.  I think for situations where you are checking PAD files for version info, it might be a good idea to make it so it will only check those once per day at the most frequent.  You really don't need to check more frequently than that anyway.  There are a number of very important programs for me that I would like to use DCUpdater to keep an eye on for me.  I could approach the authors about including DCUpdate support since it would ridiculously easy to do, but would like an alternate way to do it if they wont or cant for some reason.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2007, 11:50 PM »
I've uploaded a new version (1.18.01) but im not going to upload the file that would make everyone's updater update itself, since i expect to have to release minor fixes in the next day or so.

This new version has major changes to the look and feel, but i haven't added any pad file stuff yet.  You will notice however that there is a new tab for programs not yet installed but available for installation.

Screenshot - 7_30_2007 , 11_48_31 PM.pngLATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - DcUpdater - 1.32.01 - May 9, 2017

Version 1.18.01 - July 30th, 2007
  • All options are now in a separate dialog.
  • Main form now has two tabs, one for installed packages, one for available packages.
  • New simple mode button.
  • Self-upgrade now takes place after all other items are updated.
  • New-install update files will be automatically overrided by installed versions of the same pacakge.
  • Checkboxes let you disable items from checking.
  • View menu lets you hide disabled items.
  • Sorted columns are preserved between runs.
  • Added (and set default) an alertbox mode of displaying update from tray.
  • Doesn't pop up on failure to connect to network (better for resuming from sleep issues)
  • Updater was staying minimized to tray if there were updates that had already been reported.

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Hey mouser, looking sharp! Couple of issues to report, and a possible bug.

Issue#1 - Using Vista, the prefs dialog is too big for the frame so it puts in scroll bars.  Image attached.
Spoiler
Screenshot - 7_31_2007 , 10_03_38 AM.png

Issue#2 - I prefer to have the app running all the time, the big exit button actually exits!  I would like it to take it back to the tray if the close to tray option is checked.

Issue#3 - When advance controls is selected, the little yellow "log" window at the bottom does not remember its position.  I prefer it slid all the way down and I pull it up if I want to see it.  When exiting the app it comes back up in the same position no matter what I had it set to before exiting.

Issue#4 - Possible bug.  Not sure if this is by design.  Only the "Description" column separator is draggable, the others can not be selected.  Also, this column does not remember its size.  Minor issue, but important to me! :)

I do like the new look though, it looks VERY slick compared to what it looked like before (which wasn't bad!).  The tabs are cool!  Are there any plans for a tree view for apps with plugins so they can be a part of the app or something?  Would be nice if an app's plugins can show up "under" the app so you know they belong to it.

If I find any other issues I will report them.

Edit:  "a app's plugins"??  Was left over from when I changed references from program to app while editing, it was "a program's".  Why am I explaining my edit?  I don't know.  Just didn't want people to think I had no sense of grammar.  And I was embarrassed by it.  Also as inexplicable, why am I calling everyone's attention to it? 

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 04:52 PM by Tekzel »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2007, 09:37 AM »
all good ideas and bugs, thank you.. will be working on them, especially the couple of show stoppers.
treeview for plugins is a good idea.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - DcUpdater - 1.19.01 - Aug 5, 2007
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2007, 06:25 AM »
Ok major new version released..

The big work here under the hood (and above the hood as well), is lots of support for installing new packages, not just updating existing packages.

For example, one idea is that you should now be able to download a plugin .zip file and drag+drop it onto the dcupdater window, which will report about its contents and know where to install it and install it (or check web for update).

You could do the same with simply a plain .dcupdate file which is not yet installed.

--

This new system will be used with FARR 2 release, which will no longer come with all plugins pre-installed.  Instead, the updater for FARR will know about the available plugins, and you will be able to quickly install any plugin you want simply by choosing it in the updater.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - DcUpdater - 1.19.01 - Aug 5, 2007
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2007, 06:49 AM »
Another feature added is more support for manual stuff.  You can now right click and tell the updater to just download the new file for you.

Screenshot - 8_5_2007 , 6_47_04 AM.pngLATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - DcUpdater - 1.32.01 - May 9, 2017

It will also let you customize how these files get named, and even keep an archive of every downloaded+installed update:

Screenshot - 8_5_2007 , 5_45_43 AM.pngLATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - DcUpdater - 1.32.01 - May 9, 2017

You can now also uncheck packages you dont want to check by default (you can always check them manually with a right-click).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 07:01 AM by mouser »