topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - DcUpdater - 1.32.01 - May 9, 2017  (Read 178460 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - DcUpdater - 1.32.01 - May 9, 2017
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2017, 11:02 AM »
Let me check out the code and see what might be causing your issue.

It's likely that it's related to the DcUpdater functionality that purposely only shows certain items if it's invoked and told to explicitly only scan a certain folder.

This happens all the time when you do an update check FOR/FROM A SPECIFIC PROGRAM.
So for example, if you are in FARR and ask FARR to check for updates, it will invoke DCUPDATER and tell it to only look in the FARR folder for updatable stuff, and hide the rest.

So it sounds like what's happening to you is that on your second call it is maybe restricting itself to items in a specific folder?

Can you clarify -- you say when you "re-ran" it.. Can you check next time that DcUpdater isn't already running in the tray when you "re-run" it?  I'm trying to understand how it could be that using the same button to run it both times, with it not being running either time, could show different results.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:04 PM by mouser »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2017, 04:01 PM »
After doing an update, DCU seems to "see" only the apps that have been updated, and does not seem to "see" the other apps. - I think it expects to see them in the default program files folder, but doesn't find them there, and yet it can "see" those that it has just updated.

I always thought that was by design (?)
i.e. it presumes you are finished and simply want to confirm updates and exit.
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2017, 07:44 PM »
@mouser:
Please, don't put too much effort into it on my account, as it is a minor (non-fatal) issue, as I indicated above. It's probably only me that has experienced this minor problem, because I tend to push apps a bit more than most (which can sometimes be useful in Beta testing).

I invoke DCU directly via a button in FARR, rather than tell FARR to run an update check. That way, I get DCU to scan all apps (as per the screenshots in an earlier comment posted above) and report on the currency of all installed versions of those apps versus the latest version on the DC website.

I figured that it was, as you describe above, "...likely that it's related to the DcUpdater functionality that purposely only shows certain items if it's invoked and told to explicitly only scan a certain folder.".
I was aware that it would happen, as you say, if I did "...an update check FOR/FROM A SPECIFIC PROGRAM.".

What happened was I read the threads about DCU and SC being given new updated versions, and so I then triggered DCU via the button in FARR (1st time). This gave the report of all apps, with DCU and SC highlighted as having updates available. I then started the update for those two, and the updates installed OK.
I then triggered DCU via the button in FARR again (2nd time), and just the two apps - SCU and SC were reported on. I checked the paths in the two relevant .dcupdateredirect files to see if they had been changed (they hadn't).
I then shut down FARR, restarted it, and then triggered DCU via the button in FARR again (3rd time) and DCU provided the expected and correct full report of all apps, including the two (DCU and SC) that had just been updated.

So yes, it does seem that, as you say, "...what's happening to you is that on your second call it is maybe restricting itself to items in a specific folder.".

When I re-ran DCU (2nd time and 3rd time), I did not think to check whether DcUpdater was already running in the systray - I suspect that it must have been on the 2nd time. I would have made more careful a note of what occurred at each step, had I not been in a "workaround" frame of mind and had I been expecting to tell you about the problem. Telling you about the problem was just an afterthought - it was a belated "I should probably report this to mouser" thought. I shall try to remember to take more careful note of each step at when I run any new updates after this point.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2017, 07:50 PM »
You may have found a bug.  If you launch it from FARR while it is still running (in the tray for example) then it probably should rescan everything and show everything again.  So if it's not that could be considered a bug.
So first step is to figure out if the problem you describe is indeed caused by DCUpdater being already running when you launch it the second time.