topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - DcUpdater - 1.32.01 - May 9, 2017  (Read 178472 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member

DOWNLOAD FROM Program Web Page.

LATEST VERSION:

Version 1.32.01 - May 9, 2017
  • [BugFix] Fixed error complaining about "-dontofferdcupdaterpage" flag, seen when checking for updates in Screenshot Captor.

Version 1.31.01 - April 1st, 2017
  • [Major Feature] Updated to work with high-dpi (larger than 100% text) displays.

Version 1.30.01 - April 4th, 2012
  • [BugFix] Fixed bug where virtualstore location was being written to, causing dcupdater to report old versions of installed programs sometimes; see https://www.donation...x.php?topic=30528.0; thanks to dc member sba
  • [Feature] Added the following optional parameters to versioninfo.xml files:Override_VersionFileRemote,Override_WebPage,Override_UpdateFile.  Using these you can effectively have the versioninfo.xml file overide some values of the local .dcupdate file or even redirect to an alternative versioninfo file.
  • [Feature] Executable and setup now digitally signed and not zip-compatible

Version 1.28.01 - Oct 8th, 2010
  • [BugFix] The extra list of directories to include or exclude was being parsed incorrectly if entries were // commented out
  • [MinorFeature] The extra list of directories to include/exclude now skips ignoring a specific directory if passed on the commandline.

Version 1.27.01 - Sep 7, 2010
  • Rebuilt with libcurl 7.21.1 -- hopefully this fixes rare crashes of the updater.
  • Improved statusbar messages.
  • Added new information when the updates being shown are just from a specific program, with checkbox to show all known updateable applications.
  • Improved dupe detection -- should eliminate the occasional display of duplicate items in updater.
  • Improved handling of case when updater is launched and an instance is already running.
  • Fixed mouseover hints from options.
  • Added "explore here" item to right-click menu for entries.

Version 1.26.01 - Jan 6th, 2010
  • Looks like win7 fixes are successful

Version 1.25.02 - Dec 29th, 2009
  • Attempt to fix windows7 crash
  • Attempt to fix problems with libcurl library on vista and other flavors of MS Windows.

Version 1.24.01 - Dec 20th, 2009
  • Rebuilt with latest version of libcurl (7.19.7) -- may fix some network issues
  • No longer packed -- may improve some exit crashes?
  • Added support for following redirects when retrieving web update and version files.

Version 1.23.01 - Aug 20th, 2007
  • Fixed bug causing error when you disable all items and say hide disabled.
  • Wasn't properly shutting down automatically when invoked from another program with disabled items.
  • Added help for using dcuhelper
  • Fixed bug in unzipinstall.exe helper utility which was causing it to not shutdown target programs during unzipping.

Version 1.22.01 - Aug 19th, 2007
  • Improved minimize-to-tray interaction with running the updater from a program and running it as a standalone tool.

OLDER VERSIONS:

Version 1.21.01 - Aug 15th, 2007
  • Last version broke the notification to programs when a zip-based (plugin) update completed.
  • Added more items to the "Installables" tab.
  • Modified the download options for location and naming.
  • Added default icons for when icons are missing.

Version 1.19.01 - Aug 5th, 2007
  • DcUpdater now knows how to look in a local zip file and find dcupdate information and report and run the update for you.
  • Right-click popup context menu now provides more information and some more choices.
  • Files with .dcupdate extension are now registered to be opened with DcUpdater on double click -- which will show a single-tab interface in the program to make it easier to install NEW packages in this way.
  • New Right-click context menu item to do a manual download of the update file without installing (options to add date and version to the filename and specify custom directory).
  • Program remembers height of extra info in advanced mode.
  • You can now exclude folders and files from scanning by listing them in the Extra Files memo with a - prefix.
  • You can now drag and drop .dcupdate files or even ZIP packages onto the main window to install a new package.
  • All options are now in a separate dialog.
  • Main form now has two tabs, one for installed packages, one for available packages.
  • New simple mode button.
  • Self-upgrade now takes place after all other items are updated.
  • New-install update files will be automatically overrided by installed versions of the same package.
  • Checkboxes let you disable items from checking.
  • View menu lets you hide disabled items.
  • Sorted columns are preserved between runs.
  • Added (and set default) an alertbox mode of displaying update from tray.
  • Doesn't pop up on failure to connect to network (better for resuming from sleep issues)
  • Updater was staying minimized to tray if there were updates that had already been reported.

Version 1.15.01 - July 10th, 2007
  • Updater now detects when a second instance is launched and absorbs it's commandline parameters and closes the 2nd instance.
  • Drag and drop of files results in adding the FOLDER to the search path.
  • The updater now uses a hash of update versions so that it wont "pop up" to show you update information that you have seen before (so now if you dismiss an update popup you wont see it again unless you manually check for updates or a new update becomes available).

Version 1.14.01 - July 8th, 2007
  • Updater now does not pop up when there is just an error getting version info.
  • Modified program name in order to fix mistaken windows Vista UAC elevation and alert.

Version 1.13.01 - July 7th, 2007
  • Updater will now direct you to the website if there is no configured install file for an update.

v1.12.05 - June 30th, 2007
  • First public preview release

Note: there is not much you can do with the updater at this point, except to let it check for updates for itself. But soon all of my programs and other programs will be checkable for updates.

However if you have one of the newer FARR v2 preview releases (v.2.00.109 or later), you should be able to check for updates for that (and from FARR as well).

I will be adding the ability to check arbitrary pad files for updates very soon.

Programmers: See the help file for info on how you can make an update file for your program so the updater will check it for new versions and help the user download them.

Looking forward to your thoughts!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:47 AM by mouser »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - DcUpdater - 1.12.05 - JUN 30, 2007
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 01:39 PM »
 :Thmbsup: Checked and re-checked! Great work (as always) mouser :D

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 05:53 AM »
This program is going to be so popular  :D Can't wait!

Are you going to register the .dcupdate extension with explorer so users can double click the .dcupdate file to load it in DCUpdater? And so that scripts can run the .dcupdate extension to register their application? This was one of the issues I was thinking about for my updating program that has never been resolved.

Associating .dcupdate files manually works fine here on Vista. FARR .dcupdate too.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 06:05 AM by justice »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 07:58 AM »
yes, very good idea and not hard to do.

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 08:18 AM »
Hey mouser, awesome program as usual.  You have a knack for mixing usability with geekiness and coming up with a program that is appealing for a large audience.

I have noticed one wee issue, minor really.  When you have the program to close to tray and pop up on update, when the window pops up it creates a second icon in the tray.  I did say it was minor :)  Not sure if this is by design, but it is a little unsightly to me.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 08:22 AM »
thanks for the report, that's definitely not on purpose, i'll file the bug report on my todo list.

and thanks for the nice comments.  as soon as i add some features to dcupdater i think it will become very useful, as  a more generic updater able to support pad files, and make a little helper util which should really really make it simple for users to add updater support to the programs.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 09:31 PM »
mouser, i'm using custom paths for both DC updater and Farr and somehow managed to get double entry for Farr. how do i remove one of them? :)

ws-dcupdate-1.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 09:37 PM »
there are 2 places the updater gets info about programs it can update:
  • The custom list in the "Extra Update Files" tab
  • The directory C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DonationCoder\DcUpdater\RedirectFiles

You probably have an entry in the second place i'm guessing.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 09:38 PM »
By the way if you drag that panel at the bottom (see the dotted line in the middle) up a bit and select an item it will tell you a lot of info about the files its using and where.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 12:56 AM »
• The directory C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DonationCoder\DcUpdater\RedirectFiles
yes, a file in the above folder was causing the double entry.. and the panel idea is just cool, i missed it the 1st time.. :)

johi

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 01:48 PM »
hey, let's include an option to start the update with the "run-as..."-dialog! :)
(i, for example, don't work with the administrator-account most of the time)

taichimaster

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 04:43 PM »
hey, let's include an option to start the update with the "run-as..."-dialog! :)
(i, for example, don't work with the administrator-account most of the time)

Are you talking Vista UAC Elevation? it should be easily achievable by using ShellExecuteEx with the verb "runas".

I would also like to see FARR be able to launch the results in elevated mode too (with some kind of modifier, maybe [+admin]?)

Maybe mouser can look into it.  Elevate through ShellExecute

« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 07:30 PM by taichimaster »

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 10:57 AM »
Mouser, one other request.  The updater uses proxy settings, but I can't get my company to give me the site:port info.  They keep saying to use the http: proxy address.  Is there any easy way to support this?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 11:04 AM »
i've fixed the UAC vista stuff in the new version which will be released soon (it was caused by MS VISTA heuristic of trying to run programs with the words update/setup/install in them ).  Thanks go to taichimaster who figured out the problem.

i think i remember seeing something about http: proxies, ill look into it.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 10:45 PM »
Hey Mouser! What a great idea (Sorry, I've only just discovered this thread... something about the title didn't click with me  :-[). I'll have to wait to get home to give it a go as it gets Port errors here at work.

I've been thinking about this generally for a little while, and posted here about a simple response I put together. The auto-update feature that I used there was based on knowing where the PAD file was.

Then I wondered about extending that idea somewhat and providing a DataBase and WebService which would retrieve information about an Application from its PAD file based on some known thing (like Application Name & Author), which would then relieve the user from knowing where the PAD file was. Also, making the link between the user and the developer non-direct means that it can be updated when necessary.

That's the update checking, then there's the actual updating. If it's easy to find out what the latest version is and where it is, then downloading it can be done using many different techniques. I was going to do just a simple script first, but dcUpdater sort of does it all!?!

I'm wondering how you deal with just PAD files?

Checking the help file, am I right in saying that the <Version> & <VersionFileRemote> tags need to be manually written?

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 04:06 PM »
mouser, I have a few suggestions:

1. Version history included in the update list.

2. Only run one copy of the program at any time (Dont allow more than that, I've come to my pc with 4-5 copies running).

3. Ability to kill already running copies of existing applications so that a reboot is not required.

Thoughts?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 04:30 PM »
im working on #2 right now, and #1 is planned.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 03:01 AM »
there are 2 places the updater gets info about programs it can update:

* The custom list in the "Extra Update Files" tab
    * The directory C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DonationCoder\DcUpdater\RedirectFiles

If I drag and drop, say FARR, onto the updater, the path appears nicely in the 'extra update files' tab-window but FARR doesn't appear on the updates tab, nor is it checked for updates.  I don't have an entry for FARR in DcUpdater\RedirectFiles.

What have I missed?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 03:12 AM »
im about to release an improved update checker and i will modify drag+drop to handle this case --
basically it expects you to drop a folder or .dcupdate file, and i assume you are dropping the exe?
im just going to make the updater drop the parent folder, which is the best thing to do i think.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 08:19 AM »
Could it have a line in the context menu saying Introduce to DCUpdater, (or whatever), so I can click any installed program's folder, and DCUpdater will both check and remember this program?

When I first ran filehippo it found some twenty updates, and I was so excited. But of course the very next thought was how to update the 300 other programs? I believe the implied full DCUpdater can fill an enormous gap, if it turns out also to be simple to use!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 11:22 AM »
im about to release an improved update checker and i will modify drag+drop to handle this case --
basically it expects you to drop a folder or .dcupdate file, and i assume you are dropping the exe?
im just going to make the updater drop the parent folder, which is the best thing to do i think.
I tried both ways, the exe and, when that didn't work, just the folder.
I'll wait for the next iteration, thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - DcUpdater - 1.15.01 - July 11, 2007
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 01:03 PM »
Updated with a few important changes that make it behave much better in terms of multiple instances and on Vista.

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 01:14 PM »
Hey mouser, do you want bug reports here or somewhere else?

Just in case it is here:  In the latest version, running windows vista, close to tray doesn't work.  I have checked and the option is selected, but when I hit the X it exits completely.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 06:48 PM »
This tab contains a list of all .dcupdate files (or folders containing them) which provide info on installed programs which can be updated

So I dragged my FARR folder to the Extra Update Files tab, and the folder path appears there.
No sign of FARR on the Updates tab, though.

I have no .dcupdate file in the FARR folder.

Yes, I do :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 10:21 PM by cranioscopical »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 06:50 PM »
What version of farr are you using? Version 2.00.121 - July 1st, 2007 or newer is required for the updater file, although perhaps from Version 2.00.115 - June 29, 2007 you can update from itself.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 06:53 PM by justice »