topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 7:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ZipStar  (Read 6734 times)

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ZipStar
« on: September 13, 2005, 08:05 PM »
From its homepage:

ZipStar is our FREE archiving application for home users. Use it to create and unpack the archive formats SQX, CAB and ZIP. ZipStar relies on the well-known Squeez technology, one of the fastest engines for file compression and extraction which is also used in SpeedCommander and Squeez.

Thanks to the integrated Quick View for the most common file and multimedia formats you can view files within archives without first having to extract them. You can compress and extract files directly from Windows Explorer!

ZipStar is completely compatible to Windows XP and can be used freely for non-commercial use!

Screenshot:

Download: http://www.sp-download.de/zs5/zs5.exe
Homepage: http://www.speedproject.de/enu/zipstar/
Forum: http://forum.speedpr...972bb&forumid=24
Size: 2.28 MB
License: Freeware
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 11:11 PM by Zero3K »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ZipStar
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 09:15 PM »
Okay, that's a really cool interface. Love the side tabs. Zero, do you use ZipStar? If so, tell us what you like about it!

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 09:24 PM »
Well, I also like its user interface. Its icons are all well done and the Office 2003 menu look is a nice touch.

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 09:05 AM »
Also, is it too late to add a program to be reviewed for Best Archive Tool? Because I have one. Its similar to the one I mentioned in this thread. Its called Squeez and can be found at http://www.speedproj...nu/squeez/index.html.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 02:14 PM »
No, that's the great thing about DonationCoder.com reviews is that they're fluid. The problem is limits. I'm adding FilZip this weekend, and at some point, the review must close. But since ZipStar is the little brother to Squeez, which does everything, I will spend some time with it and add Squeez to the review.

It offers both 7z and RAR file creation and extraction, and at only $25 Euros, is a steal. Squeez (and ZipStar) both have some innovative and clever interface enhancements, including a customizable keyboard shortcut map. Squeez is the full-featured product, whereas ZipStar is the free version that handles primarily 2-3 formats. Squeez's Help file is in German, but I can understand a good bit of it. Zero, do you speak and write German per chance? Even so, it is one of the best Help files I've ever seen.

THANKS ZERO3K, this is great!

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 07:39 PM »
Nope, I don't speak/write German.

womtag

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 09:27 PM »
Hi guys, I was just going to post about Squeez in the archive tool forum when I saw this post. Great that you are going to add it! I installed it a few days ago, I remembered having read about this tool when I read your review.

Initially I was a little bit let down because it didn't support creation of the latest version of the RAR and ACE formats (only rar 2.0 instead of the latest incarnation). I guess this shows that even developers of commercial software can't license the full rar format. Anyway, I really have come to like the interface of Squeez and the customability of the software in particular. It is evident that a lot of work has been put into this software. It's very convenient to be able to drag and drop between folder window or file window and the archive window. The info bar between the file window and archive window is also a nice touch imo. One thing that seems to be missing though is to be able to have a tree view of the folders within an archive. Perhaps I should give Tugzip a try if I want that functionality. A minor annoyance when compressing large archives is that the application can't be minimized/set to background mode when archiving, at least not as far as I know. I'm sure I'll discover new possibilities of the program as I continue to use it. Perhaps I should give the help file a whirl too, I could use a little refresh of my rusty German.  ;)  By the way, the German web page has a tour of the program with pictures not included on the English page.

But the most interesting part about Squeez is the archiving format introduced by the program, SQX. Notice that I didn't say proprietary archiving format. In fact other developers are encouraged to use the format:
"The SQX archiver is different: You are allowed to freely use the provided format specifications, the source code, source samples and precompiled DLLs – all without paying any license fees."  :up:
http://www.sqx-archiver.org/

I have done just a few simple test (compressed a few small program folders) and the SQX format does pretty good. Slightly behind 7z but better than RAR. So if you are going to add Squeez to the review I hope you can evaluate the SQX format as well. It seems to be a nice alternative to 7z with a lot of features.

Oh, not to forget: Thanks a lot for the awesome review, Zaine. It must have been quite a challenge, both for you and your right click menu! :D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 09:33 PM by womtag »