ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any "search this folder only" engines?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Curt:
The "big DC file" I mentioned is Wordzilla's piece of art:
Updated: 3 June 2007.
Download: http://www.mrmouser.com/crawl/DCForumCrawl030617.rar
74.9MB RAR package containing 8,523 individual html files. (all useless Login.html files are removed, so what's left is pure meaningful content)-Wordzilla (June 03, 2007, 09:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
... use google, with a query like "site:donationcoder.com volumouse" -jgpaiva (June 28, 2007, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for giving the example of how to write such a query. I didn't know.  :up:

But still the Google result is not sufficient. Volumouse has been named at DC at least once more than Google displayed. Anyway: I suddenly remembered this little app from my younger days: Wilbur. So I searched for him and found that he has retired, but has been replaced by his kid sister: Wilma. I guess Wilbur was reluctant to let her go, because the average download speed for these 7MB was merely 25 KB/sec...

Wilma is now installed and is doing exactly what I asked for. She immediately indexed the one folder I asked her to, and will now search DC Forum only. And because I use UltraExplorer and Maxthon she is placed right where I want her: in the toolbar. Wonderful little piece, she is - and updated so often you wouldn't believe it. You should try her!

http://wilma.redtree.com/en/help/index.html   :-*

tomos:
I am sick and tired of search engines that will promise to index and search my entire PC but do not deliver the right search result...-Curt (June 28, 2007, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Curt, how do you find Wilma  :D

I mean do you have to keep it running (I guess yes?)
Does it use a lot of resources
Can you set it so it doesnt keep scanning/indexing designated folders? (Maybe to index once a day or just manually even?)

I dont have huge use for index/contents/search programme but thinking it would be nice all the same to have something lightweight that I could use - like yourself, for certain folders..

EDIT: I had that quote in on top & was meaning to ask you had you tried other (desktop) search programmes

Curt:
I find Wilma to be extremely easy to live with  8)

But of course; being newly in love I have not yet given her any real job to perform, have I. All I told her was to watch over this DC Forum folder - which is not being updated... meaning she has no indexing job to do again. Other than that she will index in the background and use very little CPU. But she will to my understadning only search from the top folder you appoint. So for two different folders to be indexed, it would take the hole directory to be added. But you better read http://wilma.redtree.com/en/help/index.html for yourself - I haven't really studied the subject. I only took what I needed: Wilma!

Edit: Yes, I have tried a lot of other search engines. But I tend to forget what I don't keep or don't like (I don't take notes). Meaning that I can really not answer any questions on many programs because I have forgotten by now WHY I didn't keep or liked them.

Edit2: I have not placed Wilma in Start; she will run only on requests... because of the very limited job I have given her to perform.

Armando:
Curt, what search engines were you using before embracing Wilma ?

Darwin:
Nice find Curt  8) I am pretty sure that you can set any of the big indexers - Google, Live Desktop, Yahoo/X1, Copernic, etc. to search and index one folder only, but with Wilma, why bother with the overhead?! I'm using Archivarius for my indexing needs and love it, but it is payware. I like Archivarius because it lets you set up different indexing jobs and run them, or not, at your discretion, so I have a dedicated index job that I run manually to catalogue the dc archive, along with others for e-mail, my documents, etc. Archivarius allows me to schedule and automate each one or to run them manually. The really cool thing is that I can search all of them at the same time or search them individually. Very powerful and very flexible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version