ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any "search this folder only" engines?

(1/5) > >>

Curt:
I am sick and tired of search engines that will promise to index and search my entire PC but do not deliver the right search result. I have downloaded the big DC file, in order to search it, and I know without any doubt that I several times have been writing here at DC about Volumouse, so I was expecting my search engines to show me where I wrote the word "Volumouse". But No; they will only search the headlines / file names. What a sad surprise!

So my question is what search engine I should install in order to search the content of every file in any given folder (only). I don't want it to search the entire PC or hole directories, but the marked or opened folder only. I would very much like it to have a button in the Explorer toolbar or a line in the context menu, maybe saying "Search this folder (only)". Do you know of such a wonder program?

:tellme:

BigJim:
An interesting and annoying problem to be sure! Especially as storage grows and grows. But I searched from the top level on the DC forum and only had three hits for Volumouse - none of which were from you. Could the problem be elsewhere/different than you suspect??

BTW: Volumouse rocks!!  :greenclp:  I use it ALL the time - for screen brightness, too. I'd be interested in any comments/discussion/tweaks on it.

jgpaiva:
But I searched from the top level on the DC forum and only had three hits for Volumouse - none of which were from you.
-BigJim (June 28, 2007, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=7823.msg55233#msg55233 :)

When i can't find something through DC search, i always use google, with a query like "site:donationcoder.com volumouse" :)

BigJim:
 :Thmbsup: Cool tip! Thanks.

jgpaiva:
Don't forget that, because google has to index pages, you can't use the method i mentioned to search for recent topics, because they probably won't be in google's database.
What i don't know is how much time it takes for them to re-index donationcoder.com.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version