topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 4:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Software to AVOID!  (Read 11786 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Software to AVOID!
« on: June 28, 2007, 07:21 AM »
DonationCoder.com is all about recognizing and supporting those who possess coding talent (among other things), and thanks to you guys, I've found a lot of great software here. However, I need your help identifying software to avoid like the plague. I'm seriously sick of buying a license to what seems like good software only to find that the company does not support it, or they double the price on the next upgrade, or they completely change their EULA, voiding that "lifetime" license you bought, whatever. I think some of the worst offenders are those with slick UI's — they give good face, but then never follow up on the execution.

Easy-to-use.gif

So help me make a list of software (and companies) to avoid, thus saving us all time, trouble, and money. One other request I'll make is that you give us at least one reason why we should avoid it.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Software to AVOID!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:23 AM »
I'll start with SolSuite Solitaire, a great game package, but they have no direct support and you have to write and beg them for a new activation code every time they update their software. Oh, and they don't write you back with the activation code. I presume they want you to buy a new copy every time. These guys suck chunks, period.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:50 AM »
I belive this is the kind of thread that would fit in this section of the forum.
Also, http://www.shitware.net would probably be a good resource too ;)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 08:55 AM »
Good grief, Zaine! I'm a fan of white lists over black lists, so that's why I keep a list of the software I tried and liked, perhaps to do a "The Great Software List" on steroids spinoff, but I constantly rule out bad software of my mind. I try to remember something but...

OK, I remembered something. First, CodeSector, Nighted could give you some reasons why :)

Second, talking about slick UIs, most companies doing these all-in-one optimizing suites should be avoided, including PC Tools (you could avoid Spyware Doctor if you wish as well) and Iolo (though I haven't tested System Mechanic since version 5). Most behave exactly the same, and they keep cleaning the wrong sections over and over again.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 09:26 AM by Lashiec »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 10:53 AM »
don't forget we made a new section for complaining about companies:
https://www.donation...ndex.php?board=215.0

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 02:42 PM »
Ah, isn't that the inherent problem with forums — that guys like me don't pay attention to what's new and just dump everything into one of two sections?!  :-[  (Please move this to that section, since it would be easier to find and follow there.)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 07:43 PM »
Ah, isn't that the inherent problem with forums — that guys like me don't pay attention to what's new and just dump everything into one of two sections?! ...

Interesting! I didn't know there was such a section. I assme it's new (?) as there are only a couple threads there. Does this one show up in the main RSS feed? So, thanks for bringing it to my (our) attention Zaine.

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 08:37 PM »
  Anything with "Symantec" written on the package.....  Nuff Said....  :D

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 12:11 AM »
well the company i mentioned here has discovered the error of their ways so i will remove this as far as i can.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 04:00 AM by Grorgy »

Centauri27

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 03:22 PM »
I use this moderately effective driver update program called Driver Genius Professional. It's a commercial app that was in the version 6.x range when I bought it. I received a couple of program updates which installed and ran normally. Then they decided to get greedy (and stupid)--they slipped in a newer "pay again" version 7 as an update. I downloaded and installed it only to find my product just reverted to trialware!

Man did this tick me off! To have a paid-for product suddenly go trial, with no warning or opportunity to install in parallel, that's unethical and sleazy. So I promptly yanked the new version off and reinstalled the older version (which I kept a copy of luckily, as the vendor had thoughtfully removed from their web site).

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 08:14 AM »
well the company i mentioned here has discovered the error of their ways so i will remove this as far as i can.
You shouldn't remove a post because a company "has discovered the error of their ways" - better to strike-through the complaint, and then have a non-strikethrough notice under stating that they've nicened up. It's always good to see when somebody learns from their mistakes...
- carpe noctem

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 10:16 AM »
You shouldn't remove a post because a company "has discovered the error of their ways" - better to strike-through the complaint, and then have a non-strikethrough notice under stating that they've nicened up. It's always good to see when somebody learns from their mistakes...

Yup - have to agree with this. I'd still like to know what their track record is and make a decision that takes it into account...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 04:37 PM »
I use this moderately effective driver update program called Driver Genius Professional. It's a commercial app that was in the version 6.x range when I bought it. I received a couple of program updates which installed and ran normally. Then they decided to get greedy (and stupid)--they slipped in a newer "pay again" version 7 as an update. I downloaded and installed it only to find my product just reverted to trialware!

Man did this tick me off! To have a paid-for product suddenly go trial, with no warning or opportunity to install in parallel, that's unethical and sleazy. So I promptly yanked the new version off and reinstalled the older version (which I kept a copy of luckily, as the vendor had thoughtfully removed from their web site).

Incidentally, this happened to me as well but I contacted the developer and was sent a new key for v.7. I've subsequently uninstalled it because it seems a bit pointless to me (but then I'm on a notebook that is three years old). __fool__ __ money__ __ __. I'll let you fill in the blanks.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 05:07 PM »
Just to clarify, the Walrus was Paul and I'm the fool...