ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software to AVOID!

(1/3) > >>

zridling:
DonationCoder.com is all about recognizing and supporting those who possess coding talent (among other things), and thanks to you guys, I've found a lot of great software here. However, I need your help identifying software to avoid like the plague. I'm seriously sick of buying a license to what seems like good software only to find that the company does not support it, or they double the price on the next upgrade, or they completely change their EULA, voiding that "lifetime" license you bought, whatever. I think some of the worst offenders are those with slick UI's — they give good face, but then never follow up on the execution.

So help me make a list of software (and companies) to avoid, thus saving us all time, trouble, and money. One other request I'll make is that you give us at least one reason why we should avoid it.

zridling:
I'll start with SolSuite Solitaire, a great game package, but they have no direct support and you have to write and beg them for a new activation code every time they update their software. Oh, and they don't write you back with the activation code. I presume they want you to buy a new copy every time. These guys suck chunks, period.

jgpaiva:
I belive this is the kind of thread that would fit in this section of the forum.
Also, http://www.shitware.net would probably be a good resource too ;)

Lashiec:
Good grief, Zaine! I'm a fan of white lists over black lists, so that's why I keep a list of the software I tried and liked, perhaps to do a "The Great Software List" on steroids spinoff, but I constantly rule out bad software of my mind. I try to remember something but...

OK, I remembered something. First, CodeSector, Nighted could give you some reasons why :)

Second, talking about slick UIs, most companies doing these all-in-one optimizing suites should be avoided, including PC Tools (you could avoid Spyware Doctor if you wish as well) and Iolo (though I haven't tested System Mechanic since version 5). Most behave exactly the same, and they keep cleaning the wrong sections over and over again.

mouser:
don't forget we made a new section for complaining about companies:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?board=215.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version