topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ditto: yet another free clipboard manager  (Read 26328 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ditto: yet another free clipboard manager
« on: June 28, 2007, 06:36 AM »
Through this post by ak_, i've found a fantastic piece of software.

Meed Ditto.
Ditto_pic.jpg

It's quite simplistic, only one options window and a quick paste window.
Though, it's quite powerful!! It can handle several types of files in the clipboard and it works VERY well.
I'm definitelly surprised, it's worth a try.

Also, while reading through Ditto's forums, i found an interesting idea: Stack Copy. It's something i had never thought, but it'd be extremelly useful, since i've used CHS several times to reproduce this behaviour.

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ditto: yet another free clipboard manager
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 02:26 PM »
Yeah, glad to see my post was helpful :)

Indeed, Ditto is really neat. I never used any other clipboard extension but actually this one is quite perfect for my needs. It's very handy for composing images without going from one window to another all the time.

And it's open source :D

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 03:59 AM »
i found an interesting idea: Stack Copy

ClipCache 1.41 offers a similar feature.  You assign two hotkeys, their suggestion being Ctrl-Alt-[ and Ctrl-Alt-' because they're more or less above each other on the keyboard.  Pressing them steps you up or down through the quick-paste list (not sure if it extends to older items), placing that clip ready to paste.  Helpfully, each time you press one of those hotkeys, you get a tooltip showing the clip's title briefly appear at the cursor location, so you can see when you got to the one you wanted.

I requested similar functionality for CHS >here<.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 04:13 AM »
So what is the angle on Ditto. if it's just another clipboard manager then noone would use it.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 08:31 AM »
What i love about ditto (i've been using it since i opened this thread), is how it handles all kinds of clipboard items, not only text.
It can store text, images, formated text, and (very specially) links for files.
That last part is where i think it is unique. When i copy a file on explorer, it is stored in Ditto (not the file, only the link to it). So, i can later want to move that file anywhere and paste it through Ditto.
It's also very useful when you want to move a bunch of files to different places in your computer. You can just copy them all at once, and then just go drop them where you need to.

I also like how it's very fast and reliable. The only problems i've found is that there's a slight delay from the moment i press ctrl-c and it makes the "copy sound", and how can be a bit hungry for memory.

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 03:27 PM »
So just make a stack plugin for ClipX, since it supports plugins, someone might as well make some. Oh while you're making that, make a plugin that allows you to assign an audio file to notify that a clip has been captured.  ;)  ;)  ;)
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 04:00 PM »
When i copy a file on explorer, it is stored in Ditto (not the file, only the link to it). So, i can later want to move that file anywhere and paste it through Ditto.
mouser, are you reading this!? ;) Sounds like an excellent feature!

I could never get Ditto to work, for some reason. I like CHS a lot, so hopefully some of the more advanced clipboard management features of Ditto/ArsClip/ClipX will be incorporated some day  :-[

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 06:35 PM »
I have been using Ditto for quite a while now, and I find it invaluable.  It's one of the first things I re-install after formatting.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 07:18 PM »
If I have understood what this Stack Copy is then it is called Drop Stack in Ultra Explorer and is part of the shell.

... to look for a temporary replacement for Explorer, ... I found an alternative I have never heard of before: Ultra Explorer. After 3 hours I must say, I am impressed! ...
Some of the key features of UltraExplorer are:
Drop Stack window - Drop blocks of files into the drop stack for quick access later
http://ultraexplorer.mustangpeak.net

http://www.mustangpeak.net/
http://wiki.mustangp...lp_for_UltraExplorer

I am still impressed with Ultra Explorer...

Ditto sure is fine, and it is impressive that it is FREE,
but my next clipboard will be the $30 M8 Spartan:

m8.gifDitto: yet another free clipboard manager

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 05:19 AM »
i found an interesting idea: Stack Copy
I requested similar functionality for CHS >here<.

it seems that we're going in circles, ;D in this thread, skywalka - from his Ditto years - requested for this feature as a stand-alone tool and Skrommel responded with ClipStep. then i suggested to mouser that he add this feature into his CHS program here. :)

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 01:47 PM »
For all Ditto lovers -- version 3.15.1 is out (http://ditto-cp.sourceforge.net:up:

Great as always. Enjoy!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 11:51 PM »
just trying out Ditto and was wondering if there is way to make the GUI single column instead of scrolling horizontally.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 10:36 AM »
Just thought I'd update this thread. :) I've been using Ditto for at least a year now (prob. more), and LOVE IT! I tested a few clipboard extenders over the years, and before Ditto I used ClipX (which was pretty cool too, but had some flaws, mostly stopping functioning properly when I would not reboot Windows every few days... needing to restart ClipX manually to make it work again).

Ditto has lots of features, my fav. one being that you can easily set a clipboard entry to "never auto-delete", so over time Ditto can serve you with the stuff you need again and again - ever there's a lot of time in between.

If you are looking for a very powerful clipboard extender give it a try!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 03:26 PM »
brotherS, have you looked at tranglos' NANY program, in this thread NANY 2012 Pledge & Early Beta: Ethervane Echo?  Similar look-and-feel to Ditto, but a new program with tranglos improvements.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 03:38 AM »
Thanks for the pointer! His main reasons in that thread for leaving Ditto behind don't bother me though. And since I'm now following a keep-it-if-you-don't-miss-anything approach (vs. the try-it-if-it-sounds-cool approach in earlier years 8) ) to software I'll stick with Ditto, at least for the time being.

I'm also too lazy to migrate all my important entries from the Ditto database.  :D

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 02:42 PM »
since I'm now following a keep-it-if-you-don't-miss-anything approach
Ancient American proverb say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."  :)

I'm also too lazy to migrate all my important entries from the Ditto database
I presume you could do that by running both programs at the same time, though you'd still have to do some work.  Also, don't overlook Ethervane Echo's ability to bulk import clips.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 02:37 AM »
since I'm now following a keep-it-if-you-don't-miss-anything approach
Ancient American proverb say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."  :)
Hehe... yeah, but there's still a big difference between "settling for what's not broken" and my keep-it-if-you-don't-miss-anything approach. Most PC users I met (who are not *that* skilled on average) use a program because they somehow ended up with it. They might dislike it or miss features, but don't think of searching for a better solution because at least "it works".

I'm also too lazy to migrate all my important entries from the Ditto database
I presume you could do that by running both programs at the same time, though you'd still have to do some work.  Also, don't overlook Ethervane Echo's ability to bulk import clips.
Interesting... but I would probably still have to set all my "never auto-delete" entries to "never auto-delete" (or whatever it's called there) in Ethervane Echo. ;)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 10:43 AM »
there's still a big difference between "settling for what's not broken" and my keep-it-if-you-don't-miss-anything approach.
That's an interesting view.  And given that in the UK, many of us are broke, maybe we'll be following your example  ;)

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 06:42 AM »
Exactly after one year a new version (3.18.20.0) is here. Just testing it under the Christmas tree. The global hotkeys for individual clips don't work at all, though.

EDIT: Even the latest beta doesn't work for any hotkey. The previous version worked fine.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 07:07 AM by yksyks »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 09:54 PM »
Clip shortcut keys can be global (you don't need to open ditto for your clip shortcut keys to work). New check box on the clip properties window.

New shortcut key window (right click on icon - Global hot keys) so you can see what clips are available globally and was ditto able to register the shortcut key.
-Ditto

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2011, 04:26 AM »
Oh, sorry, my bad. I meant "Global hotkeys for last ten items copied", not "individual clips hotkeys". The latter work fine, while the former don't, regardless of the key combinations. They are even correctly displayed in the Global Hot Keys window:

ditto-hotkeys.gif

Is it only me?

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 07:41 AM »
It was not only me. Fixed now in the latest beta (3.18.22.0), available at http://ditto-cp.sourceforge.net/beta/. Enjoy!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 02:58 PM »
Late to the party on this one. I was using a little freeware called NetClip.exe

But no matter how I tried it would never copy files over. It's a relief not to have to open the shared folders and do all the drag & drop manually. Just control-v it in there! Nice program.

Although it would be nice to explain that adding a computer name to Friends isn't enough. You also need to stick it on the list at the bottom of the settings.  Right click Send To was never disabled, but it never opened. Drove me nuts for about 1/2 hour until I figured it out.

Edit: After playing around with it a bit I don't like the choice of either send every copy to the network machines, or copy, then right click, then go to Send To then choose remote machine to send a clip.

I put in a feature request. But in the meantime I did what every AHK_L programmer does. I made a macro to do the dirty work. It's called DittoFriend.  It runs in the tray along with Ditto. Set your machines in the Friends List not to copy all clips.  To copy the clip you are doing at the moment, press Control-Alt-c. DittoFriend sends Control-c to the active window to copy the clip.  Then it pops up a Gui so that sending keys to manipulate Ditto doesn't go into the active window(with editors you can get weird things happening.)  The Quick Paste window comes up over the Gui.  By macro the context menu opens on the first item, Send To is selected and Enter pressed.  Then the windows are closed.

It's a kludge. But it actually works pretty well. I only have 2 machines. I haven't tested it with more machines in the Friends list. But I would think it would work as expected.

On the target network machine you just press Control-v to paste as usual.

The zip file is attached.
If you forget the hotkey hover the mouse on the tray icon.

Edit: Here's the source. I compiled using AHK_L 32 bit Unicode build.

Edit2: I made a small modification so that EmptyWorkingSet() isn't called during the hotkey processing.
Also the zip now includes a free custom icon I downloaded.  Looks pretty good in the Tray

;---------  Note: Compiled with latest AHK_L 32 bit Unicode build  ----------

#NoEnv
#SingleInstance force
SendMode Input
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%
CoordMode,Mouse,Client
Menu Tray,NoStandard
Menu Tray,Add,Quit,DoQuit
Menu Tray,Tip,Control-Alt-c to Net Copy Clip
if (A_IsCompiled)
  Menu Tray,Icon,%A_ScriptFullPath%,1

DumpMemory:
  _EmptyWorkingSet()
return

^!c::
  Process,Exist,Ditto.exe
  if (! ErrorLevel)
  {
    SoundPlay,*16
    SetTimer,DumpMemory,-30000
    return
  }
  Send,^c
  Gui -Resize -MaximizeBox
  Gui,Show,h100 w200,Ditto Friend
  Sleep,250
  MouseMove,23,23
  Send,^``
  Sleep,50
  Click Right,1,1
  Sleep,50
  Send,s{Enter}
  Sleep,250
  Send,{Esc}
  Gui +LastFound
  WinActivate
  Send,{Esc}
return

GuiClose:
GuiEscape:
  Gui,Destroy
  SetTimer,DumpMemory,-30000
return

DoQuit:
  ExitApp

;call EmptyWorkingSet in AHK
_EmptyWorkingSet()
{
  return DllCall("psapi.dll\EmptyWorkingSet", "UInt", -1)
}
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:30 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 02:06 PM »
I made a few changes to DittoFriend to give the macros a better chance of success on the first try. Source,icon and exe are included in DittonFriendNEW.zip attached.