Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 01, 2014, 03:28:34 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bitwise gems - fast integer math  (Read 2529 times)
gjehle

lonesome linux warrior

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 28, 2007, 03:42:32 AM »

Fast modulo operation using bitwise AND

If the divisor is a power of 2, the modulo (%) operation can be done with:
modulus = numerator & (divisor - 1);
This is about 600% faster.

[copy or print]
x = 131 % 4;

//equals:
x = 131 & (4 - 1);

Every programmer should know about the simple shift-left, shift-right for base2 multiplication and division (if you don't, you're missing something).
This page, however, lists a couple of real gems (as the title suggests) like the one quoted above.
Enjoy!

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 05:32:50 AM »

"This is about 600% faster." - I love people making bold claims without making any reference to which platform they tested it on :] (ah, following the link they mention AS3 - flash actionscript?)

Bitwise math is good to know, though. I generally don't do it for highlevel code, but once there's a bottleneck, it can be worth it (usually ends up in assembly code then). Keep in mind that decent compilers know a bunch of these tricks already, which is good reason you wouldn't do ">> 2" to divide by four in C.

- carpe noctem
EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 07:03:35 AM »

I'd highly recommend everyone learning why those gems work. It would teach you a lot about how computers represent numbers and that could lead you to understand when and where those trick are really applicable.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 07:34:06 AM »

Sage advice, EĆ³in.

- carpe noctem
gjehle

lonesome linux warrior

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 09:39:17 AM »

"This is about 600% faster." - I love people making bold claims without making any reference to which platform they tested it on :] (ah, following the link they mention AS3 - flash actionscript?)
[...]
Keep in mind that decent compilers know a bunch of these tricks already, which is good reason you wouldn't do ">> 2" to divide by four in C.

hehe yes! exactly
the only reason why some of those bitwise ops are that much faster has to be a bad intermediate compiler / interpreter.
after all you want the script to start running, not compile for 5 minutes.
nevertheless, this list shows how to do some nice operations in bitwise and being who i am (someone who enjoys obfuscated c and perl and fancy/different ways to approach simple tasks) i appreciate websites like this one just for the fact that they list the operations ;-)
it's like a work of art
or maybe i already studied too much comp sci :x

I'd highly recommend everyone learning why those gems work. It would teach you a lot about how computers represent numbers and that could lead you to understand when and where those trick are really applicable.

true indeed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.027s | Server load: 0.03 ]