ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help [me make a game]

<< < (4/4)

Asrael:
I already have RPG Maker XP and are making a game with it. but its not for online games witch is what i want to make

tinjaw:
I already have RPG Maker XP and are making a game with it. but its not for online games witch is what i want to make
-Asrael (June 28, 2007, 07:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

The Byond is probably your best bet.

Also, would you please be so very kind as to provide a micro-review of RPG Maker XP for those of use who have not used it?

Asrael:
well. RPG Maker XP lets u make games that looks like old Final Fantasy games. It has good options to make many games. I have even seen people make shooting games with it.

(+) - Easy to use (no code at all ;D)
     - Many options and large variarity of posibilities.
     - Cheap
     - Can download more content
     - Easy to make a proffesional story

(-) - Not many spirits to choose from
     - Not so good graficks
     - takes some time to get used to.

All in all this is a good engine for single player games and can be used both by beginners and more experienced users. if you want more spirits then i advice to get RPG Maker 2000 and get the large update file for that since it gives tons of more files.

If you guys want i can post a demo for the game im currently working on with it. its far from perfect but its playable and shows some of the functions you can look at afterwards with the maker.

Veign:
What he wants, I gather, isn't some client-based fancy-gfx engine, but some online mostly text-based game. Ie., a PHP or whatever job with some database diddley-doo. Can still take quite some time to develop, though...
-f0dder (June 26, 2007, 05:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Takes me back to the days of playing many, many hours of Zork

steeladept:
Text based with a few graphics? You mean like http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/ ?

All you'd really need to do is learn PHP, CSS, and XHTML, with some database like MySQL.

All of those things are free to download and learn, with decent manuals. For CSS and XHTML, check out the W3 consortium. ...
-Deozaan (June 27, 2007, 05:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I always found W3 consortium to be a little difficult to learn from when you don't know up from down of the language.  I much prefer using HTMLDog.com.  They take a simple, step-by-step, standards only approach similar to W3C, but with a "For Dummies" type of feel.  They also explain more fully why you should do something the way they suggest and in many cases why/how it works that way.  They also have a comprehensive list of current tags that you can click on to show usage.  I just always felt it made more sense and was more user friendly than W3C.  That said, W3C is, never the less, a defacto source for valid information regarding any programming standard, not just XHTML or CSS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version