ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Backup methods and programs.

<< < (4/5) > >>

cmpm:
I was also hopeing that other methods would be discussed, rather then this idea being a target. I also thought I explained it pretty good even for a novice like me.
If you don't like the idea don't use it, ok with me.
But I like it. And would like to hear some other free options.

I've heard and read and done dual booting with Linux.
So I did it with xp...for good reasons.

steeladept:
I don't think anyone was making it out to be a target, it just seems rather a difficult to setup for what is essentially is a Mirrored RAID array.  Setting this up in the hardware is dead simple and it is a set and forget affair.  If there is a problem, you just take out the problem drive and run off the mirror.  Now it does not replace a backup program as has been hinted at before here at DC, but I don't think your setup really is designed to replace a backup routine either.  Rather if it is, it seems to suffer from the same backup problems a RAID array would with the addition that your system could loose a lot more data if it has been a while between runs. 

A mirrored array (et. al.) is just to have immediate or near immediate recovery from a HD failure, but there are MANY more problems that would require a backup.  Best practices have been identified to do a backup routine as f0dder has suggested.  This protects data from ALL threats that can be reasonably expected.  For corporate use, disaster recovery methods state all this, plus mirroring or backup setups be completed at another physical location as well; but that is far beyond the needs of most home users.  Unless you want to make a weekly stop at a safety deposit box with a DVD-RW or something similar.

I can tell you that your system is quite inventive, and it does work nicely as a exercise in dual booting WinXP (not a small task in itself).  However, I personally just don't see an advantage.  That said, the best thing I can say is it works for you and you are happy enough that your data is as safe as you feel you need.  What more can you ask for?

f0dder:
steeladept, you just expressed my opinion, and did it better than I could myself :Thmbsup:

cmpm:
Just for the heck of it I synced the entire hard drive.
Just to see if it would work and it did.

Didn't sync the boot, autoexe or other C: files,
just the folders.
Docs and settings, Program files, Windows.
Just a couple of glitches, had to reactivate windows, but didn't need a number. And the virus scanner was already on there so it was the same serial number, had to reinstall it-no prob though I use avg.

It can be set to not overwrite or delete.
Next run I won't have it do that, just add new or changed files.

Carol Haynes:
How are you 'syncing' registry settings? If you sync program files and windows your registry settings will get out of step - unless you have some method of syncing the registry too. I'm not sure that simply syncing the Windows folder will do this as the active registry is not usually accessible at the file level ? (not sure about this).

You say:
Just a couple of glitches, had to reactivate windows, but didn't need a number.
--- End quote ---

Windows (at least XP - not sure about Vista) has a built in 90 day timeout on activation. This means that if you wait 90 days you can activate Windows XP again without the hassle of phoning MS and explaining. They also seem to allow a number of activations (2 or 3 I think) before the activation is suspect. I'd guess that next time you do this you will need to activate again and will need to call MS.

Just for the record your method will not work with some application vendors. Adobe (for example) has written their activation system in such a way that if you do an image of the original partition and then restore it (using normal backup methods) you lose the activation. You must deactivate the Adobe software before restoring a backup otherwise you cannot activate it again (unless you call them and have a good reason). I'd guess other vendors are likely to start developing activation methods that work like this too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version