ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Backup methods and programs.

<< < (3/5) > >>

f0dder:
Well, once you add a new harddrive, you will want to sync from the remaining working one, to the new blank one?

Also, in case your active drive fails in the evening, and you haven't synced stuff since last evening... you're screwed. With a RAID mirror, the 'sync' happens automatically, plus you're (of course) doing proper backups to another location as well.

cmpm:
Well, once you add a new hard drive, you will want to sync from the remaining working one, to the new blank one?
--- End quote ---

No, add new hard drive install xp and install programs then sync.
And set the programs that use the synced files to point to where you put them.

This sync program is not automatic and shouldn't be imo, cuz if you are having trouble then you wouldn't want that trouble on the other hard drive without an analysis.

cmpm:
And yes do other backups as well, but I do believe there is an advantage of having two working xp installations on the same computer as I described.

With other backups, how do you know you have not backed up the problem?

f0dder:
No, add new hard drive install xp and install programs then sync.
And set the programs that use the synced files to point to where you put them.
-cmpm
--- End quote ---
Ah, even more bother then :)

With other backups, how do you know you have not backed up the problem?
-cmpm
--- End quote ---
That's why you use an incremental or differential scheme with at least a week backlog before you do a full backup ("reference point").

cmpm:
And btw I don't have any new hard drives.
I have 20gig drives, that's what i have to work with.
This is only a suggestion, not the ultimate plan of salvation :)

It saves me time, and pressure to get a downed hardrive back up again.
These I have are old so I take the precautions I think is wise.
It takes a full day to install and get my programs running again, sometimes that day is not there to do it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version