ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ultra Explorer; I am impressed!

(1/11) > >>

Curt:
I goofed and was forced to look for a temporary replacement for Explorer, so I could finish my work. So I looked a little, and within two minutes I found an alternative I have never heard of before: Ultra Explorer. After 3 hours I must say, I am impressed! Why did I never hear of this before?

Some of the key features of UltraExplorer are:

Drop Stack Window - Drop blocks of files into the drop stack for quick access later

Favorites Window - Build a favorites tree with any object you like from the shell.  The tree is fully aware of drag and drop and the clipboard.  Use the objects in the favorites tree just like the normal treeview and listview controls.

Command Line Window - Can't give up DOS and a command line?  UltraExplorer has a built in command line window that stays synced with the current view of the application.

Filter Window - Too many files to find what you want?  Use UltraExplorers Filter window.   Create new filter arguments by:

dragging and dropping objects to the window

using the selected objects in the active listview
Folders Window - Ultra fast Folder treeview that is positionable anywhere in the application.

History Window - User defined level of previously browsed folder.  Objects in this window can be used just as in the treeview or listviews, drag drop and clipboard aware.

Listview Window - A secondary listview window that can be used identical to the fixed listview.  Allows for a dual listview display if desired.

Tabbed Folders - There are several ways to create a new tab

Simply press the Control key when clicking on a folder and the folder is browsed in a new tab.

CTRL-T creates a clone of the current tab (CTRL-W closes the current tab)

Use the menu item in the Main Menu under "File"

Use the right mouse click context menu while hovering over the Tabs
Task Window - The Task window accepts plug in DLLs to extend UltraExplorer beyond its powerful built in capablilites.  The DLL can be built in Borland Delphi and distributed separately.  All that is necessary is the DLL file be places in the Plug In folder within the UltraExplorer install folder and the plugin will be available to the user.

Examples of plugins and the source code for the default plug in that come with UltraExplorer can be downloaded here.

Fast Access to Common Tasks through Detachable Toolbars

Common tasks such as Copy, Cut, Paste, and Show Properties can be access through normal context menus or through speedbutton right on the listview.  Also less common tasks can be access through the speed buttons, these include:

Up

Select All

Delete

New Object...

Send To...

View of Listview

Copy selected file paths to clipboard in either long or short filename
Breadcrumb Bar to quickly move back up through the folder path

Click the button itself to browse to the folder or click the arrow down button to select from the folders contained with the particular crumb

--- End quote ---

Does it miss anything? Yes; I am disappointed that there is no Search engine integrated yet - but it is on its way, they say. And my popup thumbnail pictures have gone; they were 3'rd party features. Other than that, it seems you can have this app almost anyway you want.

Check it out!: :Thmbsup:
http://ultraexplorer.mustangpeak.net

http://www.mustangpeak.net/
http://wiki.mustangpeak.net/index.php?title=Help_for_UltraExplorer

Curt:
Oops! I forgot to tell it is FREE!  ;)

My version:
Ultra Explorer; I am impressed!

http://ultraexplorer.mustangpeak.net/

Edit:

Here's the UltraExplorer forum:
http://www.mustangpeak.net/phpBB2/index.php?c=6
-twinkler (July 11, 2007, 01:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, twinkler!  :up:

Perry Mowbray:
I'm sure that UltraExplorer was mentioned here (although I can't find it now), as I installed it some months ago... and like you I'm impressed as well.

Where ever I originally found it had some criticisms about the programming method ("gluing different modules together opposed to coding it from scratch" from memory), but it works and I like the way it works... ;)

...and the author is active and answers emails...

edbro:
I really like UltraExplorer also. Currently, I'm torn between xplorer2 and UE. Xplorer2 is less powerful but I really like it's simple interface. Of course, I modded mine with Skrommel's Barnacle to add a menu bar for my favorites. What I don't like about UltraExplorer is 1) it is definitely slower to load than xplorer2, 2) it only displays tabs for one pane at a time which I find confusing, and 3) I can't set the startup folder in the second pane. Yes, I know that is something small but it bothers me. In xplorer2 I can set both panes to start where I want them to.

Having said all that, I am using UE more and more over xplorer2. I am coming off of Directory Opus but had to give it up when I switched to Vista. I can't afford that updgrade price.

lanux128:
if you want more choices, take a look here: 12 Windows Explorer Alternatives Compared.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version