topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 11:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: feature request: kill process if...  (Read 8692 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
feature request: kill process if...
« on: September 13, 2005, 02:14 AM »
Hi!

I like the idea of Process Tamer but can't use it for the problem I have: one program that I run 24/7 sometimes acts up and then uses almost ~100% CPU. It won't react *anymore* so Process Tamer isn't able to reduce it's CPU load :(

This is why I would like a "kill process when CPU usage is more than (X) % for more than (Y) minutes" option. Maybe even with an additional "(XX) minutes after killing process (YY), start up .exe (ZZ)" option?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: feature request: kill process if...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 04:04 AM »
process tamer is long overdue for an update and this sounds like a good feature to add; we've already discussed in this section that i will be adding a place to specify "advanced rules" for processes and this sounds perfect.  what i'd really like to do is put together a kind of consensus of advanced rule type things that need addding, and then add them all.  so more ideas about this kind of stuff would be nice.

bob666

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 04:13 AM »
this isn't as nice a request as the original, but i'd like to see options for it's tray tool tip. mainly, i'd like the option to actually see in the tool tip how many times it has tamed and how many processes have been tamed.

tool tip can read something like:

Tamed 6 processes 7 times

or maybe just a tray icon representation rather than the tool tip. the icon can be a fraction like:

6/7

top number being the processes tamed, bottom number being the amount of times.

all just options of course, not defaults.

i am supposing that if one is to have these options, one will have to be able to set the colors, especially of the tray icon. not everyone uses the same windows color scheme.

another option i'd like is control over the actual log file size.

thanks for this program, it totally rocks as is. my suggestions are merely eye candy and nit picky stuff, but the program is otherwise nifty!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 04:18 AM »
log file trimming options are a good idea;
let me think about a more generic way of letting user decide what info should go into tooltip or balloon or tray icon and see if we can figure out a nice general purpose solution.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 11:38 AM »
I like the idea of Process Tamer but can't use it for the problem I have: one program that I run 24/7 sometimes acts up and then uses almost ~100% CPU. It won't react *anymore* so Process Tamer isn't able to reduce it's CPU load :(

This is why I would like a "kill process when CPU usage is more than (X) % for more than (Y) minutes" option. Maybe even with an additional "(XX) minutes after killing process (YY), start up .exe (ZZ)" option?
It would be even better if one could decide for specific tasks how long they are allowed to use more than X % CPU before they are killed. That way one could set a higher value for critical tasks and lower for non-critical. Also, a line that covers all the not named processes would be great... I hope you understand what I'm trying to say :)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 03:56 AM »
@mouser: I'm not sure how important ProcessTamer is to you, but since ScreenshotCaptor is working great now I'm hoping you may want to put some new features in this? Do you like my latest ideas above?
There really seems to be NO program out there right now capable of doing that :(

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 04:03 AM »
as you've surmised, i'm working my way through the programs, doing major upgrades to each.

Screenshot Captor and Find+Run Robot have gotten most of the attention in last month (F&R users waited a long time for some of these updates!!).

F&R still has a little more work needed, and Screenshot Captor is just about done with this round of work.

Process Tamer is next in the queue to get a bunch of new features.. im carefully thinking about all the requests, and the best and most efficient way to handle it.

Process Tamer is actually the most popular program on the site (!) and it's long overdue for major impovements, which it is going to get, have no doubt, i'm just working my way up to it.  Expect major enhancements (but not at the cost of less efficiency!), so keep the suggestions coming.

My current thinking is to allow a custom set of instructions to perform on files, which would allow the kind of thing you are talking about, im just still chewing over the best way to do it and how it can be organized so that it keeps its super minimal impact on cpu performance, and it still super easy to configure for most people.

Keep the ideas coming - i'll soon begin work on PT.