ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

feature request: kill process if...

(1/2) > >>

brotherS:
Hi!

I like the idea of Process Tamer but can't use it for the problem I have: one program that I run 24/7 sometimes acts up and then uses almost ~100% CPU. It won't react *anymore* so Process Tamer isn't able to reduce it's CPU load :(

This is why I would like a "kill process when CPU usage is more than (X) % for more than (Y) minutes" option. Maybe even with an additional "(XX) minutes after killing process (YY), start up .exe (ZZ)" option?

mouser:
process tamer is long overdue for an update and this sounds like a good feature to add; we've already discussed in this section that i will be adding a place to specify "advanced rules" for processes and this sounds perfect.  what i'd really like to do is put together a kind of consensus of advanced rule type things that need addding, and then add them all.  so more ideas about this kind of stuff would be nice.

bob666:
this isn't as nice a request as the original, but i'd like to see options for it's tray tool tip. mainly, i'd like the option to actually see in the tool tip how many times it has tamed and how many processes have been tamed.

tool tip can read something like:

Tamed 6 processes 7 times

or maybe just a tray icon representation rather than the tool tip. the icon can be a fraction like:

6/7

top number being the processes tamed, bottom number being the amount of times.

all just options of course, not defaults.

i am supposing that if one is to have these options, one will have to be able to set the colors, especially of the tray icon. not everyone uses the same windows color scheme.

another option i'd like is control over the actual log file size.

thanks for this program, it totally rocks as is. my suggestions are merely eye candy and nit picky stuff, but the program is otherwise nifty!

mouser:
log file trimming options are a good idea;
let me think about a more generic way of letting user decide what info should go into tooltip or balloon or tray icon and see if we can figure out a nice general purpose solution.

brotherS:
I like the idea of Process Tamer but can't use it for the problem I have: one program that I run 24/7 sometimes acts up and then uses almost ~100% CPU. It won't react *anymore* so Process Tamer isn't able to reduce it's CPU load :(

This is why I would like a "kill process when CPU usage is more than (X) % for more than (Y) minutes" option. Maybe even with an additional "(XX) minutes after killing process (YY), start up .exe (ZZ)" option?
-brotherS (September 13, 2005, 02:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
It would be even better if one could decide for specific tasks how long they are allowed to use more than X % CPU before they are killed. That way one could set a higher value for critical tasks and lower for non-critical. Also, a line that covers all the not named processes would be great... I hope you understand what I'm trying to say :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version