ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Choose which browser will open a url from external app

<< < (4/6) > >>

MilesAhead:
I need a way to specify the browser that will handle the opening of URLs per application.

For example I want all links in outlook to be opened in Maxthon where as links in other applications should continue to be opened w/ my default browser, Firefox.

Possible?
-sri (September 15, 2009, 01:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think I can do the programming part of this pretty easily.  The fly in the ointment, as usual, is the Registry settings.  From searching Browser Chooser in the Registry it looks like there's at least a dozen keys used when he sets the default browser(I don't know if he sets them all or Vista64 sets the "Wow6432Node" stuff itself.. this 64 bit Registry scam is new to me.) I already have a function I use in my HomeFolder program that returns the exe file associated with the active window.  If EditPad is active and you double click on the text "www.favessoft.com" and it opens the URL with the default browser, it's no big deal for my program to know it's EditPad and choose the browser you set up in settings.  But it's getting Windows to launch my program without breaking anything in the Registry that requires some research.

mouser:
Miles, I can help -- email me for a master list of default-browser registry settings that i've come across in building BrowserTraySwitch ([email protected])

MilesAhead:
Will do. :)

MilesAhead:
Sorry, but at the moment it seems like going directly to the desired browser depending on which app launched the url would be a natural progression for the Browser Chooser program.  Messing with the registry on my machines is just an invitation for them to start acting weird.  I would agree with lanux that a feature request probably makes the most sense.  All the Browser Chooser has to do is get the title of the active window and if it's in the list of settings, not bring up his toolbar.  Just pass the url on to the browser in the settings.  No sense reinventing the wheel when the Browser Chooser wheel already looks pretty good to me. :)

MilesAhead:
btw I went to Browser Chooser site.  Turns out it's Open Source.  I don't have VB.NET installed, but if someone is into Visual Basic for .NET it should be a fairly straight-forward modification to add options to associate a bunch of window title strings with each browser in the toolbar.

Probably in the OnLoad handler for the main form, before the focus is removed from the current app, get the window title of the active window. If in the options list, launch the chosen browser with the url instead of bringing up the toolbar.

It looks like the project is originally from around 2004 so I'm not sure if it would automatically load and be valid with a newer VB.NET.  Contacting the author may be a good idea before investing too much time in it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version