ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Making the Switch-05: Ten Great Ideas of GNU/Linux

<< < (3/4) > >>

zridling:
Lashiec, perhaps the reason why there's no DOpus/ XYplorer/ xplorer² on GNU/Linux is that the layout of the Linux filesystem is a different model than we know in Windows. Mayank Sarup does the best job of outlining it. This may be one of the hardest things to wrap my mind around. In Windows we have a "file manager" that manages files on different media — HDs, floppies, CD/DVD, old ZIP drives, network drives, FTP, and so on — CLICK-n-DRAG. And while you can manage your files on GNU/Linux this way, it's not efficient for that platform, since it follows Unix hierarchy. Instead, files in Linux, even executables, are fluid and mobile.

The day someone builds one, they'll be a hero. However, I think it would take a vast amount of money to support the programmer/s to do so. Even on the Windows side, it takes a special breed of brain to build a good file manager. The best file managers we have on the Windows side have all evolved toward their excellence.

As for your last question, I don't see why not. SourceForge hosts most of the apps, not the individual distros themselves. Oddly, not all software in the Ubuntu repository is compatible with Debian. But you don't know until it won't install.

steeladept:
Lashiec, perhaps the reason why there's no DOpus/ XYplorer/ xplorer² on GNU/Linux is that the layout of the Linux filesystem is a different model than we know in Windows.

-zridling (June 26, 2007, 11:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Excellent point that I couldn't put adequately into words due to my limited experience.  That said, it does seem it shouldn't be too difficult to create an application that finds these programs or even one that manages the data within a user's home folder (which is where most data should be kept anyway unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise).   Even moving things is pretty simple in *NIX, so why not have a simple GUI interface that allows you to manage that movement?  You already are using the interface and the CLI commands are there already, they just need married into a UI that is usable.  I know you are just the messenger about this, but I see both sides to this.  I know the system is not even vaguely like a windows environment (except maybe for the look if you choose to have one), yet I really never see any good file management tools either beyond CLI tools.  Again, maybe this is my limited experience talking, but I wouldn't think it should be difficult, and it seems it would be quite handy...

zridling:
There's a lot of opportunities to create some great software on the GNU/Linux platform; if nothing else, just making similar software like the great file managers we have on Windows. Porting won't work for this category. But the first person who does build (a) an AutoHotkey app, and (b) a great file manager for GNU/Linux will be a pioneer, I think. I'm using MEPIS this week and you can do some clever things with Konquerer, but it presents files in a web layout kind of way. Definitely not used to that. My question is: who has this kind of time anymore?

steeladept:
There's a lot of opportunities to create some great software on the GNU/Linux platform; if nothing else, just making similar software like the great file managers we have on Windows. Porting won't work for this category. But the first person who does build (a) an AutoHotkey app, and (b) a great file manager for GNU/Linux will be a pioneer, I think. I'm using MEPIS this week and you can do some clever things with Konquerer, but it presents files in a web layout kind of way. Definitely not used to that. My question is: who has this kind of time anymore?
-zridling (June 28, 2007, 07:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Amen

Nod5:
anything like dopus for linux?
ahk?
onenote?
-urlwolf (June 23, 2007, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
As for OneNote alternatives, I recently found this list of Ubuntu software tips http://www.littleubuntu.com/blog/?p=3 . It includes BasKet Note Pad, http://basket.kde.org/ . After testdriving it for a few minutes my impression is that it's a kind of OneNote light. It has free form notes, tagging, filtering, special objects like to-do-lists. I'm not sure if it allows wiki style internal links from one Basket page to another. These screenshots shows many of these and other features:
http://basket.kde.org/screenshots.php

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version