ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What do you use to keep track of your installed software?

<< < (5/9) > >>

CleverCat:
I keep all my non-install apps in one folder.

Perry Mowbray:
Perry, are you able to launch an auto-upgrader for all programs ???
 :tellme:

What would we need to have? What would you need to make it happen?
-Curt (July 13, 2007, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just the location of the PAD File.

The way I've done it at the moment (a bit proof of concepty), is to get details from the Author's PAD File and download the file as specified in the PAD.

dalchina:
Have you tried Belarc Advisor?
This lists apps, serial nos, versions in a double column format (HTML I guess), oh, and assesses your hotfixes too and makes recommendations on security. It has an online updatable database.

Ok, it's not a database record, so comparison would be visual.

Related: Has anyone tried Secunia's Personal Inspector? This is is supposed to offer to check for updates for over 4200 apps.. a bit like CNET used to do some years ago, but with an option of online scanning or a downloadable version. I couldn't get a useful result, though.

Darwin:
Yeah, I've tried Secunia Personal Inspector. It's not bad - it works, but I uninstalled it as I use Check&Get to monitor the version history pages of all of my applications. I like this better than having to download a db file and scan my system. It's more accurate, forces me to read the history notes and make a decision about whether or not I want to update/upgrade and I'm used to it, so it works for me!

KenR:
Yeah, I've tried Secunia Personal Inspector. It's not bad - it works, but I uninstalled it as I use Check&Get to monitor the version history pages of all of my applications. I like this better than having to download a db file and scan my system. It's more accurate, forces me to read the history notes and make a decision about whether or not I want to update/upgrade and I'm used to it, so it works for me!
-Darwin (August 15, 2007, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I use Check and Get as well. Before that, I used Website Watcher, but Check & Get also serves as a url organizer. I think the program needs a lot of work, but I haven't found anything I like better. I tried writing to the developer, but he didn't seem to give a shit and I gave up after sending my third message to him. If there is a better way, I'd love to know about it. That's the problem with being on this site looking for great software: you find out about it, then you need to keep it updated. :)

I would suggest to anyone considering buying SoftCat that they take a look at Where Is It? You can use it like a catalog program as well and it is a wonderful program. I wish all software was written with as much thought and attention to detail.

Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version