ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What do you use to keep track of your installed software?

<< < (4/9) > >>

CleverCat:
If you want something very basic - this is okay..and free now!

http://www.loggytronic.com/ezcat.php

Darwin:
Is there anyway to get SoftCat to automatically retrieve and store registration information? I'm not even sure that it's that important to me as I use ClipMate/Safe to store my serial numbers anyway, but...

This is probably a question for the developer and I'll got to him/her now!

CleverCat:
Haven't looked at Plus version too deeply - will investigate! :Thmbsup:

J-Mac:
I'm running the trial for SoftCat Plus right now and yes, it will do drives (rather then merely a drive). It also allows you to create and access multiple databases, which is useful if you play around with different s/w configurations and freqently create drive images.
-Darwin (August 11, 2007, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounded great.  However looking at their forum I saw where someone had asked a few good questions. One was whether softCAT only scans the All Users and Users Start Menus for the program listing, or does it also scan the registry and elsewhere for those programs not listed in the Start Menus.  The developer replied that only those listed in the Start Menus are scanned.

A little bit of a bummer. I have found by copying and pasting program scans from BelArc Advisor, jv16 Powertools 2007, and CCleaner's Installed Programs list into Excel and comparing that there are lots of programs (on my PC, anyway) that are installed but not listed in the Start Menus. IMO, it would be a lot better if it scanned the whole PC and not just the Start Menus.

Jim

Darwin:
Hmm... Jim you've raised a good point. I'm running the trial and for my needs SoftCat Pro looks good, it's picked up on apps that I've installed in non-traditional (ie the program files folder) locations but it is a bit disappointing that it won't scan the registry... Also, the forum is slow and the developer doesn't seem hugely interested in suggestions (although his curtness could be more of a language issue than anything else).

Note that the option to scan a folder exists and works. It scans sub-folders, too,. However, because it only catalogues the largest exe file in a folder you'd have to place every installation file into its own folder in order to have it auto-catalogued. Of course, what this really means is that SoftCat Pro auto-selects the largest exe file in a folder - you can click on a radio button to select and add them to your database.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version