ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What do you use to keep track of your installed software?

<< < (6/9) > >>

Darwin:
Hear, hear! Where Is It? is awesome. I like SoftCat Pro's abiity to auto-catalogue the s/w on my system but I wish it would search my registry... I'm not sure if Where Is it? will auto-catalogue my installed software or not... I know I can have it catalogue the contents of whatever folders I tell it to, but that won't get to the registry, either.

Check&Get 3 is great - I don't use it's URL organizing features (even though evidently this was its original "role") and have found the developer to be quite friendly and helpful, but then I haven't been requesting features and such. Ken, what features would you like to see added - or bugs fixed for that matter? I'm curious... and might try writing to the developer myself, raising the same issues. Never hurts to try, try again... Actually, the developer has been active here in the past - why don't you start a thread and we can try to get him to respond there?

KenR:
Hear, hear! Where Is It? is awesome. I like SoftCat Pro's abiity to auto-catalogue the s/w on my system but I wish it would search my registry... I'm not sure if Where Is it? will auto-catalogue my installed software or not... I know I can have it catalogue the contents of whatever folders I tell it to, but that won't get to the registry, either.

Check&Get 3 is great - I don't use it's URL organizing features (even though evidently this was its original "role") and have found the developer to be quite friendly and helpful, but then I haven't been requesting features and such. Ken, what features would you like to see added - or bugs fixed for that matter? I'm curious... and might try writing to the developer myself, raising the same issues. Never hurts to try, try again... Actually, the developer has been active here in the past - why don't you start a thread and we can try to get him to respond there?
-Darwin (August 15, 2007, 07:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, Where Is It? will not do that as far as I know and I am pretty familiar with it.

I'm not sure what to think or say about your comments about the developer. I saw some post from him and thought he seemed interested in feedback. After not gettomg any responses to my emails though, things seemed pretty clear. Everyone else (aside from JoTo) gets my emails.

I was going to make a post. I even talked to Mouser about it. In the end though, my body/health won out and I never got around to it, like the pile of paperwork sitting patiently in front of me.

Here is a partial list of the changes I thought would be useful:

* accommodate clipboard managers (or maybe it only happens with AI RoboForm) and only add the site to C&G if it is the current item in clipboard. As it is, C&G pops up the window to add it if there is one anywhere in the clipboard manager whenever anything is copied to the clipboard

* Be able to control when the time cycle begins, such as 6am rather than just how often it is checked.

* Be able to set sites as unread

* Accommodate FTP sites

* Allow the program to ignore changes without wiping that information out in the display

* Go to changes, seek them, etc when the site is opened

* Be able to create folders, like the ones that exist, that meet specified criteria

* Use a live, progressive search for urls when the user begins to type rather than having to bring up a search window, specify criteria, initiate it, etc

* Be able to update just the links in a folder without having to select them

* Specify the criteria for dulplicate URLs, such as the base domain

* Speed up how long it takes to show the image of the page

* When an error occurs, recheck the urls after an adjustable interval instead of just waiting for the next check
Those are the ones I can think of right now. I'm pretty sure I had more, but maybe not. Let me know if any of these need clarifying.

Ken

Darwin:
accommodate clipboard managers (or maybe it only happens with AI RoboForm) and only add the site to C&G if it is the current item in clipboard. As it is, C&G pops up the window to add it if there is one anywhere in the clipboard manager whenever anything is copied to the clipboard

--- End quote ---

Interesting - which clipboard manager do you use? I use Clipmate 7.2 and don't have this problem (if I select a non-url item from within the list in the "inbox" C&G ignores the clipboard- even if I have numerous urls and e-mail addresses in the clipboard). I'll have to take a look at my settings and see if there's anything in there dictating this behaviour. Nope - just the option to have C&G monitor the clipboard for urls. Must have something to do with how Clipmate manages the older items.

Anyway, nice list! I'll try to get in touch with the author tomorrow and see what happens. I'll direct him here as well.

KenR:
accommodate clipboard managers (or maybe it only happens with AI RoboForm) and only add the site to C&G if it is the current item in clipboard. As it is, C&G pops up the window to add it if there is one anywhere in the clipboard manager whenever anything is copied to the clipboard

--- End quote ---

Interesting - which clipboard manager do you use? I use Clipmate 7.2 and don't have this problem (if I select a non-url item from within ... -Darwin (August 16, 2007, 12:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

How interesting! I have the current version of clipmate as well.
Ken

Darwin:
Hi again, Ken. I'm just sitting down to compose an e-mail to the developer and am looking over your suggestions. I'm not sure about the one:

Be able to create folders, like the ones that exist, that meet specified criteria

--- End quote ---

and want to be able to represent it accurately (I'm thinking of simply writing an e-mail and seeing what happens).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version