ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ZipStar

<< < (2/2)

Zero3K:
Nope, I don't speak/write German.

womtag:
Hi guys, I was just going to post about Squeez in the archive tool forum when I saw this post. Great that you are going to add it! I installed it a few days ago, I remembered having read about this tool when I read your review.

Initially I was a little bit let down because it didn't support creation of the latest version of the RAR and ACE formats (only rar 2.0 instead of the latest incarnation). I guess this shows that even developers of commercial software can't license the full rar format. Anyway, I really have come to like the interface of Squeez and the customability of the software in particular. It is evident that a lot of work has been put into this software. It's very convenient to be able to drag and drop between folder window or file window and the archive window. The info bar between the file window and archive window is also a nice touch imo. One thing that seems to be missing though is to be able to have a tree view of the folders within an archive. Perhaps I should give Tugzip a try if I want that functionality. A minor annoyance when compressing large archives is that the application can't be minimized/set to background mode when archiving, at least not as far as I know. I'm sure I'll discover new possibilities of the program as I continue to use it. Perhaps I should give the help file a whirl too, I could use a little refresh of my rusty German.  ;)  By the way, the German web page has a tour of the program with pictures not included on the English page.

But the most interesting part about Squeez is the archiving format introduced by the program, SQX. Notice that I didn't say proprietary archiving format. In fact other developers are encouraged to use the format:
"The SQX archiver is different: You are allowed to freely use the provided format specifications, the source code, source samples and precompiled DLLs – all without paying any license fees."  :up:
http://www.sqx-archiver.org/

I have done just a few simple test (compressed a few small program folders) and the SQX format does pretty good. Slightly behind 7z but better than RAR. So if you are going to add Squeez to the review I hope you can evaluate the SQX format as well. It seems to be a nice alternative to 7z with a lot of features.

Oh, not to forget: Thanks a lot for the awesome review, Zaine. It must have been quite a challenge, both for you and your right click menu! :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version