Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 23, 2014, 09:28:09 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Best spreadsheet  (Read 38037 times)
Ralf Maximus
Supporting Member

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007, 11:21:12 AM »

Ooh!  And here's a thread on importing .xls files into Quantrix:
http://www.quantrix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2007, 11:26:35 AM »

Funny you posted the link to to Quantrix forum thread - I was just reading it! I've actually got a window open and am going to give the suggestions a shot. Right after I posted the above, I was sent the academic quote for Quantrix Pro ($990). It's for about 70% off and AFAICT only applies to the Pro version (ie they don't offer academic licensing on the Standard version, more's the pity...).

I'll post back when I've determined where things stand with respect to Excel. This will be a deal breaker for me (well, that and the sticker shock).

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 11:29:11 AM »

PS To answer your initial question, pasting from an xls file doesn't work...  Sad

However, it is supposed to...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 11:38:18 AM by Darwin » Logged

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »

Damn. I'm feeling a bit lightheaded. Quantrix is HOT. SEXY. A wedge waiting to be driven between my wife and I...

I've created a VERY simple model from a spreadsheet (alas I chose something that doesn't really lend itself to anaylsis) and have been watching the tutorials again. I think I am with Ralf. This is something I'd love to have a use for but the data I am seeking to manipulate isn't financial and involves a lot of non-numeric variables. Probably best to keep converting it into Access format and using ArcGIS to maniuplate it. But I really want Quantrix. And it's almost Christmas. I've been good. Really!

I'm going to keep playing around with it... I'd hate to <ahem> receive it as a Christmas present and find out that it's the $260 equivalent of 5 pounds of Chocoloate - sweet, comforting, but of little practical value to me!

PS just got an e-mail announcing that:

All Quantrix Modeler Professional Edition licenses purchased during
the month of December 2007 will include a Free Upgrade to Version 3.0,
anticipated for early 2008.

This Free Upgrade may be redeemed at any time during 2008.
This represents a savings of more than $250 per user license.

Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 11:35:42 AM »

Well... update time (of sorts): with a heavy heart I am about to uninstall Quantrix. I like it. A lot. But I suspect that once I get over the "gee-whiz, neato factor", I won't be using it much. *If* this does prove to be essential for my PhD I'll re-visit it at that time. Buying it now would be essentially buying a solution to a problem that I haven't defined yet...

I can see its power but I can't justify the investment required either to convert my large Excel databases into Quantrix and or to buy it (student funding long gone...  Sad).

alxwz
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 05:05:09 PM »

Just out of curiosity: Does anyone here remember Lotus Improv?

I've read several times that it introduced the concept that Excel's Pivot tables (which I have yet to find a use for) and Quantrix are based upon.
markan
Charter Member

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 05:37:05 PM »

I still have a copy of Improv and I loved it. Not sure if it will run in Vista though.
luc
Participant

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 06:15:15 PM »

OK, I have never used Apple's iWork Numbers and usually avoid MACs. But I know that this is how spreadsheets should look like and that they had some cool usability ideas.

http://www.apple.com/iwork/numbers/
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2008, 09:33:10 PM »

in the 1st post, Niefer had mentioned of Gnumeric as one of the tested apps. has anyone tried it? looks quite spiffy but i don't use spreadsheets that much to be able judge its quality..

jazper
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 12:29:39 AM »

Althought I've never used it, I can't resist throwing in google spreadsheets.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/  <--- it redirects to docs.google.com , but if you create a "New" document you'll see Spreadsheet as an option.  I have no idea how google spreadsheet even compares to all the other commercial spreadsheet apps just wanted to make mention.

tide
Supporting Member

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2008, 01:43:22 AM »

Just a quick comment: I really like gnumeric! It's the only spreadsheet program that I know of that can work with "huge integers" which happens to be important to me. Unfortunately, the windows version has problems with printing and releases for this platform lag behind the *ix versions. It's possible to work around the printer problem and with a little luck the developers will fix that problem in time.

It's not Excel but it is very good, IMO. I suggest downloading the program and trying it out for yourself.

in the 1st post, Niefer had mentioned of Gnumeric as one of the tested apps. has anyone tried it? looks quite spiffy but i don't use spreadsheets that much to be able judge its quality..
 (see attachment in previous post)

Nxqd3051990
Participant

Train to become GTD Master

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2008, 01:20:26 AM »

I love gSpreadsheets  thumbs up
It's real simple and always do good its' task smiley

KEEP IT SIMPLE !
Hardware ASUS K8N |AMD 2800+@2,6 with WC| Ram Kingmax 512@235 2-4-4-11
Software   Firefox 2.0.0.5 | XYplorer | Foobar 0.9.4.2 | VLC | AutoHotkey | SciTe | Pidgin
Sites Y!Blog | Facebook | Tumblog | Last.fm
kfitting
Charter Member

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2008, 08:06:22 AM »

Relatively new to the scene: Resolver http://www.resolversystems.com/  a slightly different outlook on spreadsheet programs.

Kevin
qimaya
Participant

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 03:23:43 AM »

i don not know how to use it.
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 03:30:10 AM »

i don not know how to use it.

any particular spreadsheet you're referring to?

fenixproductions
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 05:50:19 AM »

I can recommend Gnumeric because it has a lot more functions available than i.e. Excel.

Full list of features can be found here:
http://www.gnome.org/proj...s/gnumeric/features.shtml

The only thing which makes me worried is: only 256 columns supported. So you have to be careful if you want to transpose some data.

BTW OpenOffice Calc has the same "problem".

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
When I am bored I write for displaynone smiley
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
tinjaw
Supporting Member

I'm so glad breakbeat techno isn't an illegal drug

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 01:36:38 PM »

Relatively new to the scene: Resolver http://www.resolversystems.com/  a slightly different outlook on spreadsheet programs.

The thing to note about ResolverOne is that it is built on IronPython and exposes the underlying Python. So what you do in the spread sheet is exposed as Python code in the editor and it is two-way. Think of Delphi's two way editor, but with a spreadsheet instead of a UI and Python instead of PASCAL.

Niefer
Participant

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2008, 11:08:28 AM »

Quote from: mouser on 2007/06/20, 22:26
"Let's just let people make suggestions here in this thread, since i don't have the slightest idea which software to add to the poll."

Now it's the time, 1 year passed.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:12:41 AM by Niefer » Logged
huyaowen
Participant

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2008, 11:49:02 PM »

yes ,i think so . cheesy cheesy
hhdawrs
Supporting Member

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2010, 02:18:41 PM »

I used Lotus 1-2-3 for years, then Vista wouldn't run it.  Free Open Office has been meeting my needs for about 3 months now.  It is similar to old Lotus suite, so not a big learning curve.

Aloha,

'erbie
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2013, 03:18:30 PM »

Technically, I'm currently stuck between PlanMaker (very fast, very mighty, quite cheap) and Quattro Pro (very, ehm, just mighty). While I have Excel 2013 (for university-related stuff) and LibreOffice Calc (for everything else) on my hard disk, both of them lack a sane user experience.

Too bad that Wikipedia fails to have a real "comparison" regarding actual functionality available.

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.06s | Server load: 0.14 ]