ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Best spreadsheet

<< < (6/10) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
Ooh!  And here's a thread on importing .xls files into Quantrix:
http://www.quantrix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58

Darwin:
Funny you posted the link to to Quantrix forum thread - I was just reading it! I've actually got a window open and am going to give the suggestions a shot. Right after I posted the above, I was sent the academic quote for Quantrix Pro ($990). It's for about 70% off and AFAICT only applies to the Pro version (ie they don't offer academic licensing on the Standard version, more's the pity...).

I'll post back when I've determined where things stand with respect to Excel. This will be a deal breaker for me (well, that and the sticker shock).

Darwin:
PS To answer your initial question, pasting from an xls file doesn't work...  :(

However, it is supposed to...

Darwin:
Damn. I'm feeling a bit lightheaded. Quantrix is HOT. SEXY. A wedge waiting to be driven between my wife and I...

I've created a VERY simple model from a spreadsheet (alas I chose something that doesn't really lend itself to anaylsis) and have been watching the tutorials again. I think I am with Ralf. This is something I'd love to have a use for but the data I am seeking to manipulate isn't financial and involves a lot of non-numeric variables. Probably best to keep converting it into Access format and using ArcGIS to maniuplate it. But I really want Quantrix. And it's almost Christmas. I've been good. Really!

I'm going to keep playing around with it... I'd hate to <ahem> receive it as a Christmas present and find out that it's the $260 equivalent of 5 pounds of Chocoloate - sweet, comforting, but of little practical value to me!

PS just got an e-mail announcing that:

All Quantrix Modeler Professional Edition licenses purchased during
the month of December 2007 will include a Free Upgrade to Version 3.0,
anticipated for early 2008.

This Free Upgrade may be redeemed at any time during 2008.
This represents a savings of more than $250 per user license.

--- End quote ---

Darwin:
Well... update time (of sorts): with a heavy heart I am about to uninstall Quantrix. I like it. A lot. But I suspect that once I get over the "gee-whiz, neato factor", I won't be using it much. *If* this does prove to be essential for my PhD I'll re-visit it at that time. Buying it now would be essentially buying a solution to a problem that I haven't defined yet...

I can see its power but I can't justify the investment required either to convert my large Excel databases into Quantrix and or to buy it (student funding long gone...  :().

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version