ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is an Organized Efficient Start Menu the Holy Grail of Daily Computing?

<< < (3/7) > >>

mitzevo:
hey tinjaw,

I'm a bit like you. I always seem to focus on having every thing perfect which is stupid. Especially when it comes to organizing stuff on your computer. In the end you just waste time, why bother with categorizing and and sorting, it's too much work..

Tagging is the way is think.

My Start menu is pretty organized, but like you said,  a lot of programs fall under different categories and vice versa.. it's the need to have every thing perfect that stops you from doing any thing.. Basically what I have now is Start > All Programs >

Office (contains Mobysaures Thesaurus, Openoffice, etc.)
Games
Internet & Network
Tools
Video & Audio
Development
Temp

and a few more..

The categorization is some thing that gets me too, some thing I'll have to get over shortly.

justice:
I used to think there should've been a utility that knows the type/categories of a piece of software, then looks at the organisational method the user created and sort all software itself based on logic. Result is an auto sorting start menu that uses a personal system. However it would be really hard to write and if its self learning (or centralised) then even more so. Most people will use similar systems however. There's a lot of effort required to make something this elegant, and no one will want to pay for using it. :(

There's too much effort in tagging unless a centalised system like delicious is used. Unless it's part of a launcher like FARR?

Nowadays I just use FARR and it finds applications better than any system I can specify myself.

Darwin:
Tagging is a nice idea - it could hook into the TidyStartMenu, which I have licence for and find myself using less often (because I am less likely to use the start menu these days). Problem is, the end user still has to do all the tagging to make this system work... Unless, of course, developers can agree upon, and implement, some sort of tagging standard. Still a nice idea, though  :Thmbsup:

mitzevo:
we need standards!

yeah, FARR seems to be the main solution for me atm; I will explorer tagging for my start menu and files shortly
(https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=7469.0 - small tagging files discussion)

Darwin:
I guess an alternative would be some sort of programme that is able to scan the Program Files folder (and subfolders) and recognise and organise the Start Menu based on the name of the exe files it identifies. However, what would it do with the GIMP?! Most software are cursed with names that have little or no immediately obvious connection to their function. Back to the drawing board. Also, you'd need user input to set up variables - some people might like separate categories for vector and bitmap graphics or for web browsers and e-mail clients where other users might be content with a single folder for Graphics and one for Internet...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version