ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is an Organized Efficient Start Menu the Holy Grail of Daily Computing?

<< < (6/7) > >>

cmpm:
something like this possibly

http://smartmenus.firstcms-limited.qarchive.org/

tomos:
Nobody using the vista start button?
-urlwolf (June 18, 2007, 06:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
do you mean http://www.vistastartmenu.com ?
are you  :) ?

I have it but never got into the habit of using it cause of a bug that made it bigger than the screen - this is fixed now but I still havent gone back to it.

I like it so hope to get back to it, still have to organise things to make it more useful & hope it will get new skins soon - I like the look of it but it clashes so much with the older win(2000?) styles

tomos:
When loading various programs, like for music for instance, it wants to be the default player. As well as other programs for pictures, pdfs, documents and more.

Why not have the option to make all programs associate with what they can do with what is on your pc.

Have a list of the programs, and the ones you use most frequently be dropped in a favorites type section. With the rest of the programs below or listed somehow.

And then generate a working menu of everything on the computer.
It would scan and show what files can be opened with what programs and give the user choices quickly.-cmpm (June 20, 2007, 09:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

sounds great  :)

I know there is the 'open with' command, but somehow modify that to show the programs that will run the file. Instead of showing programs that will not open the file.

An Auto file association checker or something, instead of random programs that won't work with the file selected.-cmpm (June 20, 2007, 09:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

approaching it from the "open with" end of things is this thread...
IDEA: Replacement for Windows 'Open With...' dialogue

ChoiceEditor works great for this!

For example, I have the following ini file:

--- ---[Options]
Language=0
CheckCursor=1
CheckKey=27
AlwaysChecked=1
[General]
DisplayName0=IrfanView
Editor0=C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
Ext0=JPG,png,gif
DisplayName1=XnView
Editor1=D:\Applications\XnView\xnview.exe
Ext1=JPG,png,gif

I then associated jpg, png, and gif with ChoiceEditor, and a double click brings up this menu:
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Clicking the double arrow in the lower right lets you add another program:
[ Invalid Attachment ]

After you add the first program for an extension, you need to open the ini file and add a second program entry for the same extension to get the menu to show up.-cthorpe (May 09, 2007, 05:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

has to be set up manually but still sounds good -
I havent tried it yet - it's on my todo list :P

EDIT added other thread link

Lashiec:
Vista Start Menu have some good ideas... but nothing you can't achieve with FARR.

I think that doing things the old way its preferrable. The online database could be a good solution, but then there's the problem that mitzevo suggests, which incidentally is the problem most music databases face (except for All Music Guide).

As for myself, the menu is well organized, with submenus like "Development", "Multimedia" and so on. Even without that organization, unless you have a lot of programs under the "Start" button, the issue is not that big considering the resolution of nowadays monitors.

FARR and AutoHotkey killed the Start (lame joke).

y0himba:
An organized start menu is the first thing I do after a complete fresh install and complete updates.  Can't live without it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version