ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are you a hardcore software fanatic or a poseur?

(1/6) > >>

Darwin:
I've recently did a spring cleaning of sorts and uninstalled 46 programs from my computer (installed 7 since then though  :-[). This got me wondering, we've close to 74,000 members on the donationcoder site and I'd like to get a sense of what is normal amongst us in terms of the number of programs that we have installed. I realise that this is a bit problematic as we've probably every flavour or Linux represent as well as at least 4 flavours of Windows (98 through XP) and various iterations of Mac's OS as well... Don't care - just want some numbers.

Thanks for your votes!

PS I'm hoping that the results of this poll will help us to define what makes one a software fanatic or a poseur  :)

mouser:
one good way to estimate is to go to your Program Files\ directory and count the number of folders.

cthorpe:
I have about 35 programs installed.
I have around 15 programs that I use regularly that are standalone no-install apps.

Every time I reboot my computer, it wipes out any new installed programs unless I specifically tell it to save them.  So I test just about every program that is mentioned here on DC, and quite a few others.  Very few are good enough to warrant sticking around.

Carl

Grorgy:
That self help group for addicts looks like it might be a good idea  ;D Close to a 150 and I cleaned the ones i never use out.  350+ would make for a really scary start menu lol

app103:
That self help group for addicts looks like it might be a good idea  ;D Close to a 150 and I cleaned the ones i never use out.  350+ would make for a really scary start menu lol
-Grorgy (June 18, 2007, 12:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

I hate using my start menu for just that reason.  :D

For those of you that haven't seen screenshots of my taskbar and additional shortcut bar, here is the most recent one:

Are you a hardcore software fanatic or a poseur?

It's very well organized by type of application or shortcut.

I did a big clean up where I uninstalled a bunch of crap and deleted a lot of shortcuts... about a week ago

The 2 toolbars are on autohide, one on each side of my screen.

These are not shortcuts to everything installed...there is much much more that I don't keep handy shortcuts to and have to go through the start menu to find them, on occasion. I don't have all 200+ games in the top left section...only 139.  ;D

and if you look in my tray on the bottom right, you will see I sure do love my icons there too.

I currently have 93 running processes!  :o

When & where is the next meeting for Software Addicts Anonymous...and does anybody need a small reminder application for it?  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version