topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DC get together in Western Europe?! July 2007?  (Read 25853 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DC get together in Western Europe?! July 2007?
« on: June 17, 2007, 10:49 AM »
Hi all,

I leave for Belgium on Thursday the 21 June. I'll be near the city of Namur for most of July (through the 26) and wonder if anyone would like to get together at some point on a weekend either in Namur or at a location nearby that is more convenient for everyone? I should have posted this earlier but  haven't been organised enough to type this post out until now!

Any takers? We could meet up for drinks and perhaps a meal?

Respond in this thread or off-line and we'll try to sort something out.

Mike

PS I'm also going to be in the UK for at least two or three days (haven't picked the dates yet, so they're open) - anyone in or near Cambridge that would like to get together as well? I was thinking of the Orchard in Grantchester, but again, have left this far too late to organise, so I understand if this doesn't work for anyone...

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Re: DC get together in Western Europe?! July 2007?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 05:04 PM »
Me and Della are in.
We'll be in Belgium for the entire month of July.

gjehle

• Joined in 2006
  • lonesome linux warrior
    • View Profile
    • Open Source Corner
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 07:35 PM »
july is kinda bad, it's when i have to write this semester's finals
maybe next time ;-)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 07:56 PM »
No worries gjehle, I left making a general announcement kind of late - mea culpa. I'll hold you to the next, though (probably be July 2008 though...).

Good luck with those exams!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 09:04 AM »
Just an update: I'll be in Cambridge July 13 through 15 (just confirmed my flight - with taxes and an unheralded €6 fee for using a credit card on the net this cost me €26  :Thmbsup: The flight from my hometown to Vancouver - 20 minute flight - costs about €236!).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 02:10 AM »
OK Gothic - I *should* have open access to the internet while I'm on site - we can try to arrange this once I've got "the lay of the land" - midnight on the Citadel in Namur has a nice ring to it, but it's a bit hackneyed!

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 02:50 AM »
hehehe, ok.
I'll contact you later with my contact info in Belgium, Darwin.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 09:03 AM »
Cool! I'm hoping that over the next week or two a few others will notice this thread and be able to join us.

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 03:19 AM »
What a pity i only have time on 28./29.07.

At this point Darwin is away again :-((

But for those that would still join, Gothic, Della, Rambo and i have agreed to meet us at 28. July aftenoon in Namur (so Gothic has two meetings).

If anyone will join, we'll be glad! CU at 28 July 2007 afternoon in Namur/Belgium.

Please post in this thread if you also want to join!

Hope to see many more DC members there
JoTo

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 08:38 AM »
Dang! I'll be very sorry to miss you, but very happy to get back home to my wife and two little boys. Five weeks is a long time to be away. Torrential rain just now... Here I came prepared for the record breaking European summers of the past four or five years and I should have brought SCUBA gear!  ;D

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 09:36 AM »
Yes, of course, I understand you, Darwin!

Even if i really would have been very glad to have you with us and meet you in real i wish you a good trip home to your family.

It's so damn bad, but thats the only date for me when i and Rambo (my driver and also DC member) have time for traveling a whole weekend and go for a 1000 km trip in total. You can see, that we already planned to have you with us, because we select Namur as the meeting point. Its not so far away from Gothics place, you would have been there in the region too, and its an acceptable distance from my home too. But maybe there will be another possibility...somewhere in time.

And Yes again! The last 2 summers in europe SUCKS! I have to think if i travel to Namur via car or boat!  ;D

Update:
Hotel rooms are reserved now. So we have passed the "Point of no Return". We'll be there at the a.m. date until sunday 29th July morning, when we'll leave again home. So, come on European members, take your bag, enter the train, plane or car and come to Namur...the heart of DC for one day!  ;D

Greetings
JoTo

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 05:49 PM »
Hey!
got to visit Mike - nice guy - well worth a visit :D (but sure we knew that already, didn't we!)
we hung out yesterday (friday) evening and again this morning (first time I ever slept in a museum!) & did a bit of sightseeing with some of his co-workers today.
Yeah,
nice time.
me gotta sleep now though, too much driving -just back a couple of hours- & a strong Belgian beer at the journeys end..
take their toll 

zzzzTom
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 05:54 PM »
tomos - there was a mini gathering?
tell me and i'll give you your badges.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 06:01 PM »
no - yes - sleep - tomorrow tell - goodnight..
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 02:06 AM »
Hi all,

Tom (tomos) and I had a lovely vist at Grotte Scladina and a great time in Bouillon, touring the Chateau of Godfroy de Bouillon, the first Christian King of Jerusalem. The guy was a real boy scout... He looted all of the churches in the area to help fund his campaign. At any rate, without further ado, here is a picture of us together in an area that formerly contained a large chapel but which was given over to stables in the 18th century and today serves as a theatre for a falconer's show:

IMG_1186-medium.JPGDC get together in Western Europe?! July 2007?

So, who's who - anyone care to hazard a guess?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 02:18 AM by Darwin »

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 02:12 AM »
Orange dude...  ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 02:47 AM »
i thought i noticed something strange about that picture so i took out my magnifying glass, and look what i found:

td6.jpgDC get together in Western Europe?! July 2007?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 03:01 AM »
 ;D that was just after the falconry show -
he must have come out of hiding when the birds of prey got tied up again!
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 03:12 AM »
tomos - there was a mini gathering?
tell me and i'll give you your badges.

Well,
I had been hoping to get up there for a while & in the end the one week I was able to get up I didn't have a car so had to borrow one which was touch & go for a while so to cut the story short I think we only confirmed thurs evening the visit for friday.
Journey up from Kaiserslautern took 5hrs instead of the 3 in google's perfect world - 2 traffic jams & 1 short detour in search of petrol - I'm marked on the map, Mike is up there somewhere in the top left.

Tom (tomos) and I had a lovely vist at Grotte Scladina ...

Yeah, it was especially nice hanging out there where Mike works, sitting outside at the foot of a small steep hill in top of which is the cave they're excavating ..
Tom
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 03:25 AM by tomos »

Rambo54

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 03:21 AM »
Hello all,

now that we are online again (thanks to the hotelserver)
i present you the "inofficial" meeting-sign of the Namur-come-together:

Namur_small.jpgDC get together in Western Europe?! July 2007?

Soon, JoTo will post his review with more photos...

greetings

Rambo54

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 03:28 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
love it!!!

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 03:34 AM »
So, for all that are interested what happened on the meeting, here is my report:

Rambo and i arrived, after nearly 5 hours or about 510 km of driving, at about 2:30 pm at the hotel in Namur. When we checked in, we saw that Gothic and Della are already here too, but are out of the hotel for the moment. So we decided to first get into our room and check the internet facility that the hotel offers for free.  8)

Unpacking our laptops and setting up the WLAN connection, after we got the right password from the receptionist, was a piece of cake. And so we entered the Donationcoder chatroom.

We noticed that mouser was active and so it was the perfect time for a nice game of mouser-cheating. We both told him, that Rambos car was broken and so we can't go to Namur to meet Gothic and Della. In return we get curses from mouser about the car and the situation. This lasts a while until i asked mouser if he can explain me something strange. Why am i in the channel with a belgium ip-address? Then he realized that he was our victim :P , and we earned curses again from him. But now
not about the car and situation, now we are the target for him.  ;D

While we have just a good laugh together, suddenly, about 3 pm, we hear a "knock-knock" on the door. We opened and there stands a young couple in front of us. With my razorsharp mind  :-[ i realized within a thenth of a second "That must be Gothic and Della". And i was right!  :Thmbsup:

It follows a big "Hello" and then the mandantory big "Pow-Wow". We talked about everything. From "Who are you" to "What do you do" over "The world in global scope" and "The Universe" to "Donationcoder".

And after that, seemed for me lasting about 30 minutes, i looked on my wristwatch and, oh my god  :o time was flown away, it was already 6 pm.

Gothic told us, that they have brought his mom and her friend with them, and that they will stay over night too and will have dinner with us. That was much appreciated. As more people, as more fun.

So we decided to go to the restaurant next door of the hotel for dinner. We met in the hotel lobby and leave for the restaurant, where Gothics mom and friend are yet waiting for us. It was again a big "Hello" and  Gothics mom and friend were very kind people. We got a good dinner, lots of drinks and much much fun together the whole evening. At about 11 pm we left the restaurant again and get back to the hotel.

I feeled the belgium beer a lot, and then the disaster happens  :huh:. I was missing a hand! I needed one to carry my mobile phone and the electronic translator, the second one to hold myself on Rambos elbow, because he has to guide me (as for my visually impairness) and as i don't have another one to hold my trouser up, i suddenly felt my trouser going down to my ankles  :o. It was really awkward standing there in the middle of the heavy crowded place directly before the main railway station in underwear  :-[. I have to decide what to do. Throw away my electronic equipment or loose my guideance. So i decided to leave my guide and pullup my trousers again with my now free hand. OH MY GOD  :o. You can imagine that the others around me have really a lot of fun with that episode.  ;D

The rest of the evening lasts not very long. At least not for me. The beer does its job very well and i get soooooo sleepy.

Now its sunday morning and i am fit again. After two bottles of cold water and a good breakfast together with the others i feel well again and i am capable of writing this report now.

Gothics mom and friend headed out now to visit a museum, while Gothic, Della, Rambo and i are sitting in our hotel room again and fighting the non working internet connection.

Its planned that the museum visitors are back again at about 11 am and then it will follow the sad part of this great weekend. We have to say goodbye to each other and Rambo and i have to drive home again.  :'(

The meeting was really a great experience and all who haven't joined us  missed a lot i think.  :Thmbsup: But next time, next chance.  ;)

dcmeeting.jpgDC get together in Western Europe?! July 2007?
Nearly the whole meeting group. Gothics moms friend is not shown. Someone has to pick the photo.  :(

CU
JoTo
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 01:47 AM by JoTo »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2007, 03:39 AM »
A wonderfully told story  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

made me really wish i could have been there.

the part about your pants falling down, well i guess now you know you met cody; when i told him about the trick you played on me telling me the meeting was canceled, he must have decided you needed a little taste of your own medicine and flown out to greet you in his own trickster style.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 03:40 AM by mouser »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 05:52 AM »
i loved the story too. almost like being there.

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 01:52 AM »
Mouser...i think you are right with the assumption it was Cody that targeted my trouser.

And when i meet Cody next time, i'll have a gift for him. A cooking book "1000 receips how to cook, grill, bake Cody birds".  ;D

Thx. for the compliments about my post (also to nudone).

CU
JoTo