ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

what is the potential capacity of the internet?

<< < (4/7) > >>

allen:
I'm digging my own cables! Like I trust Canadian technology!

Deozaan:
zaine's post https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=8871.msg65079;topicseen#msg65079 reminded me of this question that keeps me awake at nights:

in 'theory' what is the capacity of the internet, i.e. in visual form, if the 'internet' was a big fat pipe - is the data flowing through it like a tiny trickle or is the pipe almost at full capacity. (or is that a terrible analogy?)

or has the 'pipe' been full for years and really it's now just a case of how fast things flow through it?
-nudone (June 16, 2007, 01:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not trying to take the subject off topic or start anything political here. I just can't help but see the parallels to the "Oh noes teh Earth iz guna run out of resorses adn we're all gona die!!11 eleventyone" alarmists out there.

Capacity is constantly being increased, and people claiming that "omg we're reaching teh intarweb capacity max!!11! one one" are just lobbyist in the whole net neutrality charade.-f0dder (June 16, 2007, 04:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

nudone:
well, i'll just have to accept that the internet is akin to staring at the face of god then.

it is not for me to try to understand but only to wonder and gaze upon with such awe that i forgot any reasoning ability that i might possess.

seriously though, i don't see why it's a bad thing to 'picture' how things work - even if they aren't with perfect analogies. in fact, i find it a bit bizarre that i'm expected to just accept the internet as just 'something' out there that does 'something' and works 'somehow'.

i feel like i've now asked something taboo, well, i actually feel like i'm inside the matrix and i've just been spotted by agent Deozaan.  8)

Deozaan:
seriously though, i don't see why it's a bad thing to 'picture' how things work - even if they aren't with perfect analogies. in fact, i find it a bit bizarre that i'm expected to just accept the internet as just 'something' out there that does 'something' and works 'somehow'.

i feel like i've now asked something taboo, well, i actually feel like i'm inside the matrix and i've just been spotted by agent Deozaan.  8)
-nudone (June 19, 2007, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

In hindsight, I was worried that you might consider my post somehow accusatory, nudone. Believe me when I say it is not. Like I said, I don't want to change the subject to things of a political nature. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking a question. It is natural and it is good. Asking "Is there enough?" is just fine. Trying to figure out how something works is also fine.

But like what f0dder said, I agree and say that when that kind of question is raised and people start sounding the alarms before doing any kind of serious research... Well they just want your money somehow.

It's been something like ten years since I remember the first alarmist saying the interwebs were going to collapse any time now and the www2 would be born.

To summarize: Your question was fine. Nothing wrong with wondering how things work. It's just a matter of digging more cables to Canada to keep the intertubes afloat.

f0dder:
To summarize: Your question was fine. Nothing wrong with wondering how things work. It's just a matter of digging more cables to Canada to keep the intertubes afloat.
-Deozaan
--- End quote ---
And upgrading some routers etc... but not big deal, really. And ipv6 can bite my not-so-shiny not-so-\m/etal hiney, NAT'ing works fine :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version