ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why I haven't made a donation to DonationCoder.com -- and why I might later?

(1/3) > >>

mouser:
As you all know, this site has no other funding besides the donations of normal everyday people who use our software and enjoy our website.

We don't have venture capital investors, we don't charge companies for talking about their software, we don't accept commissions on sales, etc.

So naturally it's important to us that we find a reasonable way to keep encouraging donations, while not giving up our ideals.

* A large number of you have donated to the site, and for that we are grateful. Thank You!! :)
* For those on a very limited budget who don't feel they can afford to donate, no further explanation is required, and we have no interest in trying to convince you that you should (see my little little joke chart of recommended donations by income).
* This post is really directed to those people who feel they could afford to make a donation, and might consider doing so in the future, but don't feel like we are doing what we need to do yet to earn your donation.
So, if you've already donated, you can ignore this thread.  And if you're not donating because you can't afford it, you can also ignore it. 

But if you have some advice for us on how we might be able to earn your donation, please let us know by posting a reply (or if you feel shy, you can send me a personal message on the forum or email me at [email protected] and i will keep your comments confidential).

Of course I'm not at all guaranteeing that we are going to make any changes that people suggest.. In fact we're probably more inclined to make changes to please those people who have already donated, but we do care about what you think and I can promise your suggestions and criticisms will be treated with the utmost respect.

Nighted:
I don't make payments through electronic means. Many times I've tried to contact developers to offer sending them a money order or something but most don't have a post office box or are just too paranoid to give out their mailing address. They point me to paypal and lose my offer.

It's not hard to get a post office box somewhere that you could receive contributions and gifts to.

Maybe I'm way behind, but for me it's much easier just to drop 5 or 10 bucks in an envelope and mail it away. Sure, it might get lost, but I think the mail system is a lot more reliable than people give it credit for.

mouser:
This isn't directed at you Nighted, you have already contributed to the site.

But in answer to people who don't want to use paypal or credit card, see this item in our Help Section:
"I Want to Donate But I Don't Want To Use PayPal or a CreditCard!"

f0dder:
Maybe I'm way behind, but for me it's much easier just to drop 5 or 10 bucks in an envelope and mail it away. Sure, it might get lost, but I think the mail system is a lot more reliable than people give it credit for.
-Nighted
--- End quote ---

Grmbl.

You shouldn't send money via snail-mail. You wouldn't know the amount of accusations this brings on the poor postal workers in the manual sections. But I'd better stop before I go on a rant against all the people who blame post.dk for missing letters & packages, etc etc etc.

Yeah, I just got home from work, don't take it personal :)

Nighted:
I've sent cash through the mail many times.

There is not one time it was not received.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version