ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Download Managers

<< < (3/5) > >>

nosh:
I'm sure you'll love it. I remember testing quite a few big players in this category before settling for IDM. It'll need a bit of configuring though.

iphigenie:
I had a quick look around the IDM options and couldn't find a way to make a "category" download automatically.

There are options to make URLs sent to clipboard download automatically, or to set up a key which will force downloading via IDM, but no way I could see in the interface to say "for this category, just start downloading"

Obviously there is both the queue option and the site grabber to get a lot of files downloaded at once, but neiter are exactly the thing you wanted.

nosh:
@iphigenie: You can't set up IDM to download all filetypes belonging to a specific category automatically but you can ask it to download individual filetypes automatically. So all that needs to be done is copy-paste all of a category's extensions to the "download automatically" box.

The only catch is he would have to add or remove individual filetypes as and when he modifies a category as the two are not synched. Besides, I'm not sure the OP was asking for this exactly.

@Earthcoder: The first feature as you mentioned is offered by your browser itself.

I realise this is a bit of a cop out but the simplest workaround for the second would be to use a dialog box extender so you just have a dropdown list of category based folders and don't need to browse your computer.

The third (website based downloading) is a bit tricky as it could conflict with the first rule. You need logic on the lines of mail filtering rules that lets you decide which rule gets priority - filetype or website - it would be hard to come by, if it exists at all. 

iphigenie:
@nosh: That feature doesn't quite work that way for me - it just triggers IDM to kick in, but i still get the pop up box asking me to say "ok".

Any extensions not in that box, IDM does not kick in and Opera ends up handling the download.

Maybe it is because i use opera, not firefox or ie?

nosh:
That feature doesn't quite work that way for me - it just triggers IDM to kick in, but i still get the pop up box asking me to say "ok".

--- End quote ---

The popup box can be completely avoided by unchecking the "show start download dialog" & checking the "start downloading immediately..." options.

The downside to this is, IDM will download files you haven't requested. If you have the "download completed" popup & sound notification disabled the process will be completely transparent, not really recommended.

My options are set to just the opposite of what I've suggested above - having the "start downloading immediately..." enabled saves a bit of time but smaller files (that I haven't requested) get downloaded before I have a chance to cancel them.

Any extensions not in that box, IDM does not kick in and Opera ends up handling the download.
Maybe it is because i use opera, not firefox or ie?
--- End quote ---
You're right, the integration doesn't seem to be as good on Opera... even the force download hotkey didn't work for me. The only way I could get IDM to kick in for sure was to copy the file url to the clipboard. I haven't tried this but if there is a certain filetype you always want to download with IDM you could disable it completely in Opera's download options.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version